Has anyone dived the Japanese Battleship Mutsu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyBuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wondering if anyone here has dived the Mutsu?

It’s what remains of a Japanese Nagato class battleship. Which exploded at anchor off the coast of Yashiro Island in the Yamaguchi prefecture, presumably by an act of sabotage of one of the magazines by a crew member.

Though it has been heavily salvaged the section that remains, though over turned and resting at an angle on the bridge, was in pretty good shape. When I dove it around 2006 it was still possible to follow its side of its hull from 45’ down to 120’ and slip under the deck railing and see the deck boards. Then follow its length to where the salvage stopped to see the 16” guns of the #1 turret at around 135’. It’s not regularly dived, we had to charter a small rusty fishing boat to take us out there. It was mostly frequented by fishermen, as evidenced by a number of small engines and car batteries used as makeshift anchors which were cut loose when they could not be freed from the wreck.

She was my first wreck dives and I’ll always remember her. Now that I have several hundred more dives and technical training, I’d love the chance to dive her again just to see how she’s doing. I guess I was hoping one of you knuckleheads had had the pleasure and could give an update.

If you’re ever in the area, the museum is quite interesting on its own merits even if you can’t also dive the wreck.

Just wondering if anyone here has dived the Mutsu?

It’s what remains of a Japanese Nagato class battleship. Which exploded at anchor off the coast of Yashiro Island in the Yamaguchi prefecture, presumably by an act of sabotage of one of the magazines by a crew member.

Though it has been heavily salvaged the section that remains, though over turned and resting at an angle on the bridge, was in pretty good shape. When I dove it around 2006 it was still possible to follow its side of its hull from 45’ down to 120’ and slip under the deck railing and see the deck boards. Then follow its length to where the salvage stopped to see the 16” guns of the #1 turret at around 135’. It’s not regularly dived, we had to charter a small rusty fishing boat to take us out there. It was mostly frequented by fishermen, as evidenced by a number of small engines and car batteries used as makeshift anchors which were cut loose when they could not be freed from the wreck.

She was my first wreck dives and I’ll always remember her. Now that I have several hundred more dives and technical training, I’d love the chance to dive her again just to see how she’s doing. I guess I was hoping one of you knuckleheads had had the pleasure and could give an update.

If you’re ever in the area, the museum is quite interesting on its own merits even if you can’t also dive the wreck.
Sounds incredible!

One of the more disappointing aspects of Japan is that the wrecks are typically welded shut, so it’s not a popular type of diving here :(

Interesting, I did’t know that sealing up wrecks as a matter of course was a thing. Do you know why that is? To prevent would be victims from entering? Or is it because they are considered war graves?

There is a dive shop in yamaguchi that runs trips on demand, but hard to say the juice is worth the squeeze. the vis makes Scapa look good and they really don't want to just function as a water taxi either, so you're going to hear a whole bunch of fukano and abunai if you try to do your own thing.

There is a dive shop in yamaguchi that runs trips on demand, but hard to say the juice is worth the squeeze. the vis makes Scapa look good and they really don't want to just function as a water taxi either, so you're going to hear a whole bunch of fukano and abunai if you try to do your own thing.

Thanks for the link to the shop. I take it this is someone you went out with? Hope they’re still around when my wife and I are able to make the trip in a few years.
It was fun watching their vids of their Mutsu dives. They definitely had better viz than we did.

Interesting, I did’t know that sealing up wrecks as a matter of course was a thing. Do you know why that is? To prevent would be victims from entering? Or is it because they are considered war graves?
There are a couple reasons.

Several are war tombs. It’s illegal to enter war graves period. The best example is probably the USS Emmons. The bulk of the Emmons was sealed to prevent people from disturbing it since there are still remains of both Japanese and American sailors aboard as well as live ordnance. It still has big gaping holes in its side though.The ship is in Japanese waters but is still property of the US Navy. It’s actually illegal under both Japanese and US law to enter it by any means.

Japan as a whole strongly discourages diving in enclosed spaces (caves included) and the Japanese government tends to seal shipwrecks as a safety measure to prevent people from entering and potentially dying inside them.

You can find tons of charters to take you TO some stunning wrecks, but you’re going to be hard pressed to find a charter to take you to wrecks you can penetrate

Back
Top Bottom