Has anyone ever dove at Cave Run ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ManitouDan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi -- I fish cave run quite often and was curious about being able to dive there. I lost a 300 dollar fishing outfit in 35 feet of water. I'm now certified and would like to search for it. ManitouDan Dan Stevenson so. portsmouth Ky.

It isn't Cozumel,(Sigh) But it is diving. Usually low vis, cold at depth. There are some spots that are good for certification. By 35 feet there is very little light and not much to see anyway. The best things about Cave Run are that it is close, and you REALLY appreciate warm or clear water when you get to it.
jkola

Actually I dove the iron furnace at Cave Run last September. Actually didn't find the furnace, but the other pair of divers I was with did. They also found a 28# Danforth type anchor...I found a flyswatter.

There are also supposed to be some house sites and stuff, but J Reef said it best: Poor viz, dark and cold. But, hey it's divin'.

KYDan

Many moons ago(!) I worked for KDFWR there at the dam. The other guys in the office were certified and we would go up during the week and spearfish for catfish. I snorkeled so there wasn't a lot for me to enjoy. Since you fish there, you probably know the best vis would be Thursday or early Friday, before the navy comes in!

One "claim-to-fame" was having the opportunity to swim in the spillway. The Corps shut the water down to a trickle and while they inspected the gate at the end of the tunnel, our guys checked the spillway integrity. I did walk the tunnel to the gate and it is pretty humbling to think about all that water behind a concrete door and hydraulic arm!!

Kenny

Back
Top Bottom