Has anyone stayed in the Aldora Villas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is even more true when you consider the rules of diving in Cozumel such as your dive being limited to the fastest two breathers even when you still have half a tank of air remaining.

I think ScubaBird is referring to the general rule that most ops follow: when the first diver in the group is low on air, they buddy breathe with the DM. When the second diver in the group is low on air, the group goes up. So, in reality, you aren't limited by the biggest air hog in the group, but the second biggest air hog in the group :)

I think ScubaBird is referring to the general rule that most ops follow: when the first diver in the group is low on air, they buddy breathe with the DM. When the second diver in the group is low on air, the group goes up. So, in reality, you aren't limited by the biggest air hog in the group, but the second biggest air hog in the group :)
That may be a Aldora rule, but it is in no way a Cozumel rule. Lots of ops will let you dive your air.

@izibo - True. My intention was not to say it was a hard and fast rule, although it generally is for the dives that I have done with Aldora and others. I also happen to believe it is a good practice when on boat dives in current, especially in the crazy currents that Cozumel sometimes sees. But YMMV.

@izibo - True. My intention was not to say it was a hard and fast rule, although it generally is for the dives that I have done with Aldora and others. I also happen to believe it is a good practice when on boat dives in current, especially in the crazy currents that Cozumel sometimes sees. But YMMV.
The only reason it confused me was because you were referring to value "makes the cost work". It didn't make sense when you can just go with a op that will let you dive your air.

Thanks all for the information. We don't really mind a small room.

My only question is that if it's a 15-20 minutes walk to town, where do you eat? We were planning to get one of the smaller $85/night rooms and we could easily do cereal for breakfast every day. But are there inexpensive places to eat lunch close by between AM and PM dive trips?

kryssa-
there are restaurants which deliver there.
one night per week the hosts usually throw a cookout party.
there is a pretty good restaurant just a little north of town. it is either albino's or alberto's. something like that. i think it is on 15th. easy walk.
the other guests often chip in for a taxi van.
no big problem eating well without spending a lot on taxis.

Even as an air hog, I can get at least one 80+ minute dive in almost every day. (Although I have gotten better over the last few years and only seldom get to my personal reserve limit) Again, YMMV - but for me: that is value. Aldora is slightly more expensive than other operators, but I think it is a good value so I personally don't mind spending a little more to get a significantly longer bottom time. (Plus I otherwise like the service) Aldora is also setup for east side diving so the bad weather risk is less of a concern if you are trying to maximize your dive days on vacation.

@Kryssa - Food can be a bit of a challenge at times when staying at the Villa. Generally, we will eat at Mr Sanchos (Just OK) during the surface interval, snack back at the Villa after the second dive, then go on our afternoon dive. We will then go out later by just grabbing a taxi into town. The alternative option for night dive nights is to eat in between the second dive and the twilight or night dive.

I know there are people that have no issue with walking, but we almost always take a taxi into and out of town. It can be hot in the summer and walking can be miserable IMO. There are no options that are closer than a 10 minute walk. (and generally, we are too tired to walk into town and a little too tipsy to walk back.) Taxi rides tend to run about 50 pesos or $5. (pay in pesos whenever you can)

---------- Post added May 16th, 2012 at 06:03 PM ----------

Vlkr brings up a good option. There are restaurants that deliver and we have done that as well. A good option when you just want to veg in between dive trips.

We stayed at the Villa this year and loved it. It's quiet, very well-maintained, and the staff is great. Brent, the on-site manager, really takes care of the place and the guests. We've already made reservations for a return trip next February and I just made reservations today for a visit in December. There isn't a beach, but they've put in some sand and a nice palapa. Unless you want the complete privacy of a house, or hotel "amenities" (breakfast buffets, swim-up bars, water aerobics classes, and bingo games), Villa Aldora has everything you really need. Like ScubaBird, i generally ate something like lunch (brunch?) at Mr. Sancho's during the surface interval. The food is mediocre at best, but the guacamole and fish tacos aren't bad. A snack back at the Villa after diving was usually as much as i needed. Getting into town for dinner is pretty easy, but I don't know that it would be great for lunch. For the reasons others have mentioned, Aldora is my favorite dive operation. My friends and I like Dario as a divemaster. Aldora is more expensive than some of the other operations, but it is a good value. Long dives, good service, small groups, and dive sites other operations rarely visit make it worthwhile. They do a good job of grouping divers of similar abilities and interests, which makes for better dives for everyone. i can recommend Aldora Divers and Villa Aldora without reservation.

Thanks all for the information. We don't really mind a small room.

My only question is that if it's a 15-20 minutes walk to town, where do you eat? We were planning to get one of the smaller $85/night rooms and we could easily do cereal for breakfast every day. But are there inexpensive places to eat lunch close by between AM and PM dive trips?

Lunch is easy... with the HP120's your dives are pretty long. If you're statying at the Villa, you're one of the first on the boat. Pick up others as you head south, and do your first long dive. Now you've got a 1.5-2hr SI at Mr Sanchos. Perfect time and place for lunch. You'll have an appetite but now. Then go do your second long dive.

The $89/day is a bit more than the budget ops, but you're paying for the extra bottom time and the cushy service. It's certainly cheaper than a 3-tank with one of the budget ops, which is what you'd need to do to get the same amount of air as an Aldora 2-tank.

Aldora does expect groups to ascend together. This isn't a Cozumel rule, but it is a drift diving rule, at least according to PADI. With the big tanks and enough boats to match people up with others of similar ability, it's not likely to be a big deal.

Another thread asking where to stay that morphs into how long does your op let you stay down, and wait for it....wait. for. it. Yep! It's sliding into where's a good place to eat? Man, I love you guys :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom