Have a dry suit question??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Put enough air in the suit so that you have adequate mobility to do anything you need to do underwater (eg. reach valves) ... Be sure you have adequate mobility in the type of suit you have. If you can't reach your drysuit valve or your tank valve because your suit's too tightly squeezed, that's not a good thing.
As you can see, those of us who have lived the experience of valve shutdown drills with a doubles rig, in our drysuits, tend to reference many things according to our basis to do that. :D All kidding aside, mobility is a very important factor. The other thing that hasn't been mentioned, and may be useful for shore / quarry dives, is to slowly walk into the water, hands in the air, up to you upper chest before you put on your BP/W and tanks (but AFTER you zip your suit), bleeding air as you go, to get your undergarments shifted upward to the extent possible. When I do that, I find I have better shoulder mobility than when I put all my gear on while on the shore and then walk into the water. For boat dives, obviously not an option, of course.

Thanks for all the advise, I do have rock boots and yes I have learned to remember all of the things that I never had to worry about when diving wet. I am taking my DS class next weekend at mermet springs and am looking forward to it. I think I agree with not and will most likely leave some squeeze in the suit. As for as the EX valve I think I will close it a little at a time. I did notice that when I let my right arm or shoulder get higher then the rest of my body it would bleed off. I will say this DS diving is total different than wet diving!! I love the colder water and the fact that there is not as many boats, or other people on the lake. The lake also seems clearer, but that my be just my imagination.

Fire_medic_RescueDiver:
I have started diving in my new dry suit. I have never dove in a dry suit before, I am taking a PADI dry suit class next weekend, but still have a few questions about it. Do you always have some squeeze to the suit even after adding air at different times. How much air should you add? I have dove the suit 3 times now and have only had the mild squeeze once and that was on a deeper dive (95feet), and I did air thru out the dive, it is not a really bad squeeze feeling just noticeable. I also leave the exhaust valve open fully.

Sounds like you're adjusting the air in your drysuit about right, at least based on prevailing opinion, which is to have just enough to avoid significant squeeze. Going beyond that by adding more air is often considered "excess" air.

Many drysuit divers also appear to use their bcd for their primary buoyancy adjustments, just occasionally adjusting the drysuit to have only a slight squeeze.

Not me, on both counts. :)

I prefer having a moderate amount of "excess" air in the suit, primarily because I feel it's warmer.

Plus, I like to use only the drysuit to control buoyancy during the dive, not the bcd. That means even more excess air.

Obviously, using only the drysuit for buoyancy control appears to be a minority opinion, but, here in the NE, it seems to be shared by quite a few local "year-round" divers.

That opinion is also shared, with good reasons, by the makers of DUI drysuits, on page 33 of their drysuit manual, (1991): "WARNING: Do not inflate your buoyancy compensator under water while using your drysuit. Controlling two independent air bladders (the BC and the dry suit) is a very difficult skill to master. If not carefully performed, you may experience a rapid and uncontrolled ascent. Rapid ascent is dangerous and may cause air embolism or decompression sickness, either of which can result in serious injury or death."

Someone please correct me if they have revised or changed that guideline since publication in 1991.

Other drysuit makers differ from that opinion, I believe.

Drysuit courses may differ also. I'd be curious to find out.

What should you do? Avoid a rapid and uncontrolled ascent, of course. :D

I think both methods of adjusting buoyancy can work when drysuit diving, but which one is more safe or managable is debatable.

On the one hand, since raising raising one's arm to vent a bcd can also vent the drysuit at the same time, controlling two air bladders seems quite easy.

I can't make a strong case to support DUI's position, except that the diver might not be aware that the drysuit was not venting enough in the scenario above.

If the drysuit is your only buoyancy concern, it makes sense that you're more likely to know if it's venting adequately or not.

For me, this really comes down to simplicity, but I can understand the other view, especially since they may argue that the "excess air" in the drysuit is kept minimal and venting it won't be a problem.

Unfortunately, even the minimum amount of air contained in the drysuit insulation can often amount to 20 lbs or more of buoyancy, offset by weight, of course. In shallow water, such as 10 to 20 feet, where one might be trying to take a safety stop, counteracting a significant increase in buoyancy can require pretty rapid venting of the suit, and one may be busy trying to vent the bcd at the same time.

Still, if one uses only the drysuit for buoyancy control, there are valid concerns about excess air in the drysuit shifting rapidly or getting trapped or upending the diver and causing an uncontrolled ascent.

Nevertheless, I think a moderate amount of excess air can be managed easily with a little bit of practice.

Again, why bother? Warmth.

How much excess air?

For those of us using only the drysuit to control buoyancy, that means we start with significantly more air in our suits than those who use the BCD for primary buoyancy control.

How much more air? Enough to offset the change in buoyancy of the tank when it goes from full to empty. That's enough air in the suit to offset about 6.5 lbs for an al80, or about 9.6 lbs for my steel 120.

The guys who use the bcd for primary control, the air needed to counteract the change in tank buoyancy is in the bcd, not the suit. Obvious advantage there, for sure.

What's the volume of that air?

Since water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon, with my steel 120, I'd need to start the dive with a little over a gallon of excess air in my suit.

By the end of the dive, when the tank is near empty, most of that excess would be gone, having been vented to adjust to the gradual change in tank buoyancy.

Is a gallon of excess air going to shift drastically in the suit?

Possibly, if the suit is a loose fit. A loose fit would let the air bubble move quickly in the gap between the shell of the suit and the outer layer of the insulation.

That's much less likely with a suit that fits better or is more filled out with insulation. In a normal fitting suit, the shifting air would have to work it's way through the insulation. That can take a number of seconds for a significant shift, which is plenty of time for a diver to adjust attitude in the water.

Now, here's a curve ball for you....

I go one step further to increase my warmth by carrying about 5 lbs more weight than the minimum needed, which lets me put even more excess air in my suit.

Should you do that? No.

At least, not until you see what kind of air shifting you get with your suit, with certain insulation, and at "normal" minimal weighting.

And certainly not until you've learned how to counteract an upended, inverted uncontrolled ascent, right? :)

One more thing, just for the sake of passing some time during this seemingly endless winter.... :( For the experienced drysuit divers around my area, it's not uncommon to see a diver add up to 4 pounds prior to a second dive to increase the warmth.

That's often because they know their insulation will be a little less effective when slightly damp from the body moisture of the first dive.

I have a little theory that excess air in the drysuit feels warmer, not only because it allows more lofting of the insulation, especially in the areas highest in the water column, but also because the excess, shifting air moves moisture away from the skin and from the first layer of insulation and leaves it condensed on the inner surface of the drysuit. That improves wicking and keeps the skin drier and warmer feeling, I think.

Just some more food for thought, perhaps.

Hope I haven't given you indigestion! :D

Dave C

If you're properly weighted, you shouldn't have to add much more air to become neutral than you do to relieve squeeze. (At recreational depths...your experience greater than 130' may vary! :wink: ) For me the half a militre of air I'd put into my BC is just one more thing I'd have to remember...so I use my suit for primary bouyancy control.

Cheers,
Austin

Personally my goal when diving in cold water is to have just enough air that I don't feel a bubble moving around. My logic is that if you reach the point where a bubble can form to a signigant size it won't do much to keep you warm.

I do add a bit of air to my BC at the start of the dive to compensate for the weight of the air in my tank, but only after my dry suit is just shy of forming a bubble, usually around my shoulders.

My goal is at the end of the dive to still be just short of forming the bubble and have an empty BC.

PADI will teach you to use your DS for buoyancy and BC only at the surface. I disagree, and many, many others do, too. Just smile and nod during the class, or, if you have an open minded instructor like I did, you can mention that there are indeed two schools of thought on the issue, and there are some very valid reasons NOT to follow the PADI route. Open-minded discussions are good, and should not violate any PADI standards as long as it is acknowledged which method PADI teaches/endorses.

Yes, you need to learn to juggle two sources of buoyancy, but IMO, if you can't manage that skill, you should probably give up DS diving. There are a few valid reasons why using the DS makes sense, but far more valid reasons for using the BC for it's intended purpose.

As for squeeze, I was taught (NOT by PADI!) that the correct amount of gas for your suit is not "add air until you no longer feel squeeze", but rather "add sufficient gas to grant sufficient mobility for safe diving, and enough to allow your undergarments enough loft that they insulate you effectively". Anything over that is asking for buoyancy problems.

I've got to believe that PADI teaches the "use the DS for buoyancy" simply as a means of getting students to practice using the DS more.

Rainer:
I've got to believe that PADI teaches the "use the DS for buoyancy" simply as a means of getting students to practice using the DS more.
I would think that DS squeeze would provide all the encouragement they need in that regard, though, wouldn't you?

You may be right, but I think it's a long shot. There are other groups that teach the "use the DS for buoyancy" thing, I just don't happen to agree with them, either. (and the OP is taking the PADI class)

I'm impatiently awaiting your Bonaire report, btw. :wink:

CompuDude:
I would think that DS squeeze would provide all the encouragement they need in that regard, though, wouldn't you?

You may be right, but I think it's a long shot. There are other groups that teach the "use the DS for buoyancy" thing, I just don't happen to agree with them, either. (and the OP is taking the PADI class)

I'm impatiently awaiting your Bonaire report, btw. :wink:

Not really. The PADI class was thrown in for free when I bought my used DS, and the training dives we did for it were so shallow you hardly needed much air in the suit at all to keep off the squeeze. Pool was like 8' deep, and the part of the lake where we did the skills couldn't have been past 20'. That's just a tiny amount of air to keep the squeeze off, which might not be enough practice for the PADI gurus. It's really the only thing I can think of, as I can't imagine using the suit for all bouyancy needs (though I do use the suit for buoyancy in the first 20'). I mean, you spend all this good money of a nice BC, why not use it? :)

P.S.
Bonaire was amazing. We're just trying to find enough time to write it all up (we took good notes, so should have s/t up soon). You've got to get down there soon!

Rainer:
Not really. The PADI class was thrown in for free when I bought my used DS, and the training dives we did for it were so shallow you hardly needed much air in the suit at all to keep off the squeeze. Pool was like 8' deep, and the part of the lake where we did the skills couldn't have been past 20'. That's just a tiny amount of air to keep the squeeze off, which might not be enough practice for the PADI gurus. It's really the only thing I can think of, as I can't imagine using the suit for all bouyancy needs (though I do use the suit for buoyancy in the first 20'). I mean, you spend all this good money of a nice BC, why not use it? :)
Wow, you're right, that's barely enough depth to bother. For my [PADI] DS class, the pool we used was 14' deep. Our open water sessions were done off Anacapa in about 30-50' of water, so we had plenty of opportunity to feel the squeeze.

(Incidentally my instructor fully agreed with the use of the BC, but "taught" the PADI method due to the rules requirements. He may have been a little more open minded about speaking his mind in class b/c he had a class full of DM candidates plus me, as opposed to a class of newbies or WWW's... and none of us were quiet about our opinions! LOL)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom