Have our spacecraft placed bacteria on Mars?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saint_Thomas

Registered
Reaction score
I always say...
If there was no life on Mars,
There probably is now that we've been there..

Any thoughts ?

Don't our spacecraft carry bacteria?
Are they tough enough to suvive the trip,
especially in something that is deployed upon arrival?

Actually, believe it or not, there is a position within NASA known as the Planetary Protection Officer. This person is responsible to ensure that devices or probes or robotic constructs that are headed to other planets have been properly decontaminated to prevent precisely this sort of contamination of alien environments.

hmmm....

well, they'd have to be anaerobic organisms, because there is no free O2 in Mar's atmosphere...

also, the surface peroxydes would destroy carbon-based life forms ... so ...

i would say the chances are slim to non-existant

Doc Intrepid:
Actually, believe it or not, there is a position within NASA known as the Planetary Protection Officer. This person is responsible to ensure that devices or probes or robotic constructs that are headed to other planets have been properly decontaminated to prevent precisely this sort of contamination of alien environments.
that does make me feel better. Good to know.

It would make me feel better also, thinking that a planetary probe that finds microbes may actually be finding alien microbes.
Except for three small details...

1. It is *much* less expensive to send a probe into space that has not been thoroughly decontaminated, entirely constructed in clean rooms, etc. than it is to send a probe into space that is entirely, absolutely clean....so there is financial incentive to not observe the strictest of protocols.

2. Not all space probes are being launched by NASA. Different agencies have different standards. Then too, in an era of reduced budgets, there is always the tricky question of "how clean is sufficiently clean"? You can always get even more anal retentive, but at some point along the curve you encounter diminishing returns and increasing costs. It is possible that not all agencies would agree in all respects.

3. The person who is currently the Planetary Protection Officer for NASA is my cousin. She provides a sense to me of how very challenging this issue is.

Still, there are a number of extremely well-qualified folks in numerous organizations working on the issue - it isn't as if its going un-addressed.

FWIW. YMMV...

Doc Intrepid:
3. The person who is currently the Planetary Protection Officer for NASA is my cousin.

that's too cool

#3 is way cool...

But I would also be curious to know how a microbe could survive in the vacuum that is space? Is that possible?

Well, I just found this on Wikipedia under "Viking Mission" info:

Each lander was covered over from launch until Martian atmospheric entry with an aeroshell heatshield designed to slow the lander down during the entry phase, and also to prevent contamination of the Martian surface with Earthly microbial life that can survive the harsh conditions of deep space (as evident on the Surveyor 3 moon probe). As a further precaution, each lander, upon assembly and enclosure within the aeroshell, were "baked" at a temperature of +250° F for a total of seven days, after which a "bioshield" was then placed over the aeroshell that was jettisoned after the Centaur upper stage fired the Viking orbiter/lander combination out of Earth orbit. The methods and standards developed for planetary protection for the Viking mission are still used for other missions.

Back
Top Bottom