Have you ever been filled with Nitrox when you wanted Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A recent thread by DumpsterDiver on the dangers of grabbing an Air filled tank when you wanted Nitrox and visa versa brings up a question. Nitrox, Trimix, etc. divers are taught to analyze the gas in their cylinder. Divers who have never taken a Nitrox, etc. haven't been taught to analyze.

So... Has anyone gotten a Nitrox fill when they thought they were getting air? I don't mean did you pick up the wrong tank in your garage. What I'm interested in is did the LDS fill your tank with Nitrox when you asked for air (or thought you were getting air).

This is actually a good argument for never filling a tank with Nitrox unless it has the appropriate sticker. Non-Nitrox divers should always be able to tell they are getting air because they don't have the sticker.

The other way is not a danger. If you ordered Nitrox, and got air, you find out pretty quickly when you analyze the tank.

This is actually a good argument for never filling a tank with Nitrox unless it has the appropriate sticker. Non-Nitrox divers should always be able to tell they are getting air because they don't have the sticker.

The other way is not a danger. If you ordered Nitrox, and got air, you find out pretty quickly when you analyze the tank.

Depends on the dive. Nitrox extends bottom times for shallow dives. You wouldn't know the difference doing a 40 foot reef/wreck. And to address raftingtiger - how many people who dive air would bother checking with an analyzer? Moreso, why would you analyze a tank AFTER a dive? If this happened on a shallow dive no one would be the wiser. It likely has occurred before (with an incredibly horrible dive op)...

The LDS where I get my fills charges 2x's as much for a NITROX fill. I doubt if they'll let a NITROX filled tank go out the door at the air price! NO I haven't.

Depends on the dive. Nitrox extends bottom times for shallow dives.

Only if your air consumption rate and/or tank volume brings the Air NDLs into play.

And to address raftingtiger - how many people who dive air would bother checking with an analyzer?

None that I know of. This is why I asked the question. Say I'm planning a dive to 130' on air and by accident my tank is filled with say 38%. Now I'm way past my MOD, but would never know it unless I was unlucky enough to have an ox-tox hit during the dive.

why would you analyze a tank AFTER a dive?

As part of an accident investigation? Say I did that hypothetical dive above and did get ox-toxed. Assuming my body is recovered, then the tank would get analyzed.

AfterDark - yes Nitrox is more expensive so I can't see the LDS doing it on purpose, what I'm wondering is does it happen by accident?

It has been my belief for a while that Nitrox should be included in OW. OW divers aren't trained to analyze tanks so they don't know for sure what is in their tanks - basically a "trust me" dive on whoever filled their tanks. The agencies want the money for the specialty, though, so I don't see anything changing.

It has been my belief for a while that Nitrox should be included in OW. OW divers aren't trained to analyze tanks so they don't know for sure what is in their tanks - basically a "trust me" dive on whoever filled their tanks. The agencies want the money for the specialty, though, so I don't see anything changing.

So everyone should own an analyzer and know how to use it because so many shops are confused and switching up air/nitrox fills? Can't say that being so super conservative is bad seeing as it can prevent problems but....really?

Nearly? Once a live aboard only had nitrox fills ready. They identified the issue, I said my max depth was going to be 60 ft and I dove the nitrox mix on my air computer. And no I did not analyze it.

I was lucky that the nitrox scuba police did not catch me.

I've never gotten nitrox when asking for air, but have gotten jacked up blends of nitrox. I asked once for 28% because I was diving a deep wreck and got 32 when I checked it.......I freaking lit up the blender. Same guy gave me a 32% fill prior when I asked for 50/50. I almost exclusively blend my own mixes these days.

Basing gas identification on tank stickers is something that has been refuted many years ago. Welcome to 2013. Even if you don't drink the DIR koolaid, you should know better than to base decisions like analyzing gas to a tank sticker. A sticker doesn't mean anything. Analyzing the gas yourself, and placing your own CURRENT marker (as way of a temporary sticker) is WAY much better.

The usual mistake of filling a regular tank with nitrox comes generally from places that bank EANx. It is actually more common than you would think to get this kind of mistake in such a setup. Having the wrong valves turned in the filling station, give you EANx in your non stickered tank. People SHOULD analyze their gas. They don't because at rec depths, anyhow, the danger is really minuscule (even with a slightly high PO2, you won't get in a really dangerous situation in terms of oxtox). The story is very different when you are going past the recreational limits, because then mixes can be become EASILY deadly because of either much higher concentrations of O2 in the mixes (50% deco gas, 100% deco gas, etc), as well as the potentially deeper PO2s you can achieve.

In the end, the truth is everybody should analyze their gas. The truth is in rec, we don't, and the stats are good enough nobody cares. Some even further the stats with the Nitrox stickers. But gas identification through permanent stickers, is NO NO. Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.

BTW all my tanks (4 80s, 3 40s) have NO nitrox sticker, no strange stickers, and get analyzed every dive. I use a couple of 80s as permanent 21m/70ft 50% tanks (with that MOD marked), 2 40s as 21m/70ft, and 1 40 as Oxygen 6m/20ft, and my backgas doubles who get all kind of mixes in them. I have a spare 80 that might get ... anything and has no markings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom