Question Have you (or anyone you know) ever seen a yoke regulator dislodged while diving?

Have you (or anyone you know) ever seen a yoke regulator dislodged while diving?

• Happened to me (while diving, reg pressurized)

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Saw it happen (wile diving, reg pressurized)

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Happened to me (unpressurized pony/stage, or at surface.. i.e. tank fell over)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Saw it happen (unpressurized pony/stage, or at surface.. i.e. tank fell over)

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Heard about it second hand (describe conditions in comments)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Never seen it or heard of it happening (but have heard of the possibility).

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Never even heard of the possiblity

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Heard about it second hand (unpressurized pony/stage, or at surface.. i.e. tank fell over)

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I specifically said that I feel a "Hand-wringing" statement of "yokes are dangerous" isn't warranted... the implication of "hand-wringing" being getting overly worked up over it. Akin to "split fins will kill you" and "you must be in BPW to dive in trim".
You know, now that you put it that way, I wonder if it's a SB-influenced thing?--yes, like the split fins and BP/W things. From the frequency with which DIN regs get mentioned on SB, one might get the impression that every "serious" diver is using them instead of yoke. In reality, DIN regs get mentioned so much on SB because the number of cave and tech divers here is out of proportion to divers in general. Also, we have some members in European countries where DIN is, well, standard. To those of us hanging out on SB it may seem hard to believe, but there are probably loads of American divers who would say they can't recall seeing anything other than a yoke reg.

You know, now that you put it that way, I wonder if it's a SB-influenced thing?--yes, like the split fins and BP/W things. From the frequency with which DIN regs get mentioned on SB, one might get the impression that every "serious" diver is using them instead of yoke. In reality, DIN regs get mentioned so much on SB because the number of cave and tech divers here is out of proportion to divers in general. Also, we have some members in European countries where DIN is, well, standard. To those of us hanging out on SB it may seem hard to believe, but there are probably loads of American divers who would say they can't recall seeing anything other than a yoke reg.
I do believe that the demographic here (higher proportion of "divers" rather than people who occasionally dive) is part of it. But with that being the case, that would skew the data (or anecdotes) even further towards the "shearing or dislodging is not a major factor" side of the spectrum.

Respectfully,

James

In my early years of a diver chasing a fish under a coral ledge and smacked my 1st stage on the ceiling off the overhang. My reg was dislodged because I could hear the gas escaping. My buddy handed me his Octopus (I am sure glad he had one because I didn't) and he proceeded to shut my air and reseat the regulator (US Divers Aquarius) and turn it back on. I was able to continue diving for a while because we were in 20-30 feet of water.

In my early years of a diver chasing a fish under a coral ledge and smacked my 1st stage on the ceiling off the overhang. My reg was dislodged because I could hear the gas escaping. My buddy handed me his Octopus (I am sure glad he had one because I didn't) and he proceeded to shut my air and reseat the regulator (US Divers Aquarius) and turn it back on. I was able to continue diving for a while because we were in 20-30 feet of water.
THIS is exactly the issue. Requiring "sheared off" in order to qualify as a yoke failure really misses the point.

THIS is exactly the issue. Requiring "sheared off" in order to qualify as a yoke failure really misses the point.
If the point of THIS poll was quantifying yoke failures in general, you'd be correct.
The point of this poll is to attempt to quantify dislodged or sheared off failures (I should know, I made the poll and clearly explained this in the opening post).
Ironically, @eelpout 's postis exactly what I was trying to quantify (impact induced failure, i.e. dislodged or sheared).
I did not and have not specified "sheared off" only. Multiple times through this thread I've re-iterated that this isn't a yokes vs. DIN thread. I'm sorry if the poll I created misses the point you want to make... Sadly this drift of people disagreeing with what I'm looking for has made it hard to get the data (or anecdotes) I'm after (a few of the "seen it" and "happened to me" answers turned out to be non impact related O-rings failures... Which is a maintenance and inspection failure.).
If you want an overall "has anyone had any kind of yoke failure" poll, feel free to start one.

Respectfully,

James

Ironically, @eelpout 's postis exactly what I was trying to quantify (impact induced failure, i.e. dislodged or sheared).
Ironically? You asked, @eelpout responded. Some apparently think that does not constitute a yoke failure while diving, but I do.
I'm not quibbling with your poll; I'm quibbling with those who are perfectly ready to dismiss all possible yoke failures on the basis of it.

It’s like anything, choose the best equipment for the job, a yoke isn’t an eminent threat, not like split fins and hose swivels.

I called it ironic because his post was what you quoted to say this all misses the point... When his example was a yoke failure by nearly any definition (to include this poll... It was dislodged). Good for him that it was a failure that didn't actually damage the reg or valve and was recoverable under water.
I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't seen anyone totally dismiss all yoke related failures due to this poll.... Only a few pushing back against the polar opposite (YoKeS WiLL KiLL yOu!) extreme.
As @lexvil said, take what suits the task and you.
Respectfully,
James

yoke isn’t an eminent threat, not like split fins

Split fins are "an eminent" threat????????????

It just doesn't make much sense to me to deliberately ignore every single possible failure mode of yoke regs because that's not the focus on this thread/poll, but then concluding that criticism against yoke regs is unwarranted because this one particular failure mode may not happen to the extreme degree that some people may have presented. Such a singular focus can't be used to conclude anything other than whether or not this one point of criticism is valid or not. Not all the other points of criticism that are being willfully ignored.
Personally I don't care at all what others use. I am not expressing my opinion on yoke vs DIN, I'm simply making an observation about the flawed logic used in the conclusion phase of this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom