Headaches? Sinus Problems? Thoughts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone use the Miflex hose that you can tie into a knot?

I have one that I've experimented with. They are indeed flexible but have drawbacks. They are expensive and limited to about a 5 year lifespan, and they're abrasive enough to tear up your skin under the wrong conditions.

Yikes, sinus issues and headaches - I would resist seeking an equipment solution. Since you are beginning diver, talk to with your instructor regarding your concerns. Although you might be comfortable underwater, it will take some time to master breathing and equalisation. I am not sure where you live, but go the DAN website. This is good resource on equalisation and sinus issues. Consider calling DAN for a recommendation regarding an ENT in your area.

Yeah, Afrin is no joke. When I started I was younger, and it just felt good to have clear sinuses. No one I knew told me:(

Well the equipment solution is to prevent the clenched jaw, stiff hose issue. I feel like this would at least help some. These drawbacks are more related to OW class and low class regs used by everyone and their mother. For what its worth, they do have a completely different set for OW as opposed to the set I'm using that is strictly for the pool.

Breathing hard is not really an issue. I mean, I'm sure it will get better, but I'm by no means going crazy. I feel very comfortable with the whole setup, although the other night was rough breathing because the reg was hard to use.

Does anyone use the formed mouthpieces they make? They have good reviews on leisurepro, but that doesn't mean everything.

I will look into contacting DAN about an ent, or at least some solutions to my issues. My new ent is pretty good, not sure if she has experience diving though.....

A GOOD ENT without diving experience is likely fine. I've had several and they've all been OK, my last one being clearly superior though. A part of that has been my own learning curve though. Diving experience is a plus though as they understand some of the finer points.

A diver with no issues clearing or with sinus problems may not have much real knowledge of what you are experiencing.

Wrangling a reg and needing to bite down hard to keep it in check could lead to jaw issues, which themselves could create a headache.
What Is TMJ? Causes, Symptoms & Treatment

AquaLung Comfobite mouthpiece is da bomb. You don't have to bite down hard to keep reg in your mouth.

So I'm still in class. Here's a few things I'm experiencing that I couldn't find the answer's to...

Rob, have you discussed any of this with your instructor??

As an instructor myself, one of my greatest fears is that I have a student with serious questions that refuses to talk to me about them, but instead solicits advice from the internet. Not saying advice from the internet is bad, but if you have issues with what's happening in your class, in the pool sessions, your instructor would really like to know about it so the issues can be resolved before you go to the ocean.

Rob, have you discussed any of this with your instructor??

As an instructor myself, one of my greatest fears is that I have a student with serious questions that refuses to talk to me about them, but instead solicits advice from the internet. Not saying advice from the internet is bad, but if you have issues with what's happening in your class, in the pool sessions, your instructor would really like to know about it so the issues can be resolved before you go to the ocean.

Full disclosure, no I have not. I'm more scared they will look at it as a liability and halt any further progress in class. Which is why I've come here. If it was a matter of proper trim, or trying to get down certain techniques, I would discuss. The headaches are bearable, it's just something I'm used to. I can tolerate the slight discomfort during class, I just wanted to get an outlook what I can do for the future. I do not want to scare an instructor into thinking I need to stop... I hope that makes sense, I'm sure some might disagree.

Well, you should at least mention the reg issue to them.

I had the exact same issues. Flonase every day. Frequent really bad headaches after a dive. I went to an ENT that happened to also be a diver. He told me to use Afrin (12-hour version) in the morning on any dive day. I use that now and also pay more attention to descending slowly and equalizing very often and that has almost (but not quite) fixed me to not get the headaches anymore. I do still get them every now and then.

Full disclosure, no I have not. I'm more scared they will look at it as a liability and halt any further progress in class.

Got it. So you don't trust your instructor's judgment as a scuba professional? But you're willing to go, as a novice diver, to the ocean with him? That doesn't make much sense. Hopefully, for your sake and that of your instructor, you make it through the course with no incidents.

Based on what you've posted, you should have had a few YES answers on your medical questionnaire, which would have required that you got clearance from a physician. I guess your instructor was notified of your situation by the answers to your questionnaire, so he's had the opportunity to discuss it with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom