Heading to Belize for the first time, where to stay, who to dive with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yea that's a good point. the only reason I want to go some where else is because Coz is getting to much like cancun. it has a LONG way to go before it gets that bad but it's not the same Coz it was a few years ago. they now have a descent road all the way around the island. the Bob Marly bar is getting to crowded, and rumor has it that it will have electricity this year :(. I actualy had to wait for a spot at coconuts last time. that just aint right.

they created a Jimmy Buffit bar and some other crap like that. I am not a fan of that. I like going to a nice little restraunt that looks more like the back yard of someone's house than to some huge bar with disco lights and music so loud you can't talk to your group!

Well, San Pedro has changed a lot too in the 8 years I've been here. If you want more laid back, I would look into alternate spots. Not that San Pedro is a bad place, but it's the "Waikiki" of Belize. Placencia is pretty slow with easy going bars but it's a pretty long boat ride out to the reef. If you want to just dive and be on the reef, there's Tobacco Caye, Southwater Caye (among a few others) and the atholls, where the diving is the best but that's about all there is to do.

The first time we went down we took the water taxi from Belize City to Ambergris, it was fun, there were dolphin off the port-bow etc. However, after doing it once, we have chosen to fly on subsequent trips. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we did it.

If you want an even slower pace, Caye Caulker is definately it. Much less populated than Ambergris, some good food, but fewer places to go, but a blast as well. Sigh, I didn't know they were renting scooters, oh well.

Dave

IMHO San Pedro is Coz of 15 - 20 years ago, but catching up fast.

The boat ride is worth doing once, we came in by boat and out by plane. Would not choose the boat again, but glad we did it once.

Stayed at the Tides and quite enjoyed it. Lots of other operators and spots to stay however. Tides sounds like it might fit your criteria except it is not really isolated, just near the edge of town. Comfortable place to stay though as others have said.

Better diving is live aboard - any one of the three operators, Aggressor, Peter Hughes or Nekton will get you better diving, but that is pretty much all you do. Dive - sleep - eat.

I
The boat ride is worth doing once, we came in by boat and out by plane. Would not choose the boat again, but glad we did it once.

We're going for the first time end of February, but we booked it the other way -
Fly to San Pedro, boat back to the mainland (and 4 days of jungle tour).
The reason is to avoid flying after diving. Depends on how you schedule
things; if you're flying home you need a no-dive day anyway, but this
way we dive Saturday, leave AC for the mainland Sunday and stay there.

You may choose to decide you don't need 24 hours no-fly. Just make sure
it's a deliberate choice. Even then, the boat back is a few extra no-fly hours.

I've been to Belize a couple of times in the last 4-5 years...tried Tobacco Caye about 4 years ago and left after a day as the island had beach shacks every couple of feet, we were with little ones and there was glass and sharp metal all over the little island, and the dive operation left a lot to be desired in terms of seriousness...hopefully they've turned things around...

We moved over to South Water Caye and stayed at Pelican Pouch which was great in terms of location,. simple but nice facilities and great staff (this is the island location - FYI this is NOT the sister operation called Pelican Beach resort in Dangriga). There is no dive operation at PP, but there is at Blue Marlin, another of the 3 places here. Went back last year too to Pelican Pouch...

SWC is right on the reef (max travel time to dive sites of 15 min, more often 10 min or less. In the two different weeks saw exactly ONE other dive boat in days of multiple dives...

As far as Ambergris Caye, about to go myself next month for the first time, and from research this year and in past years, I think one of the absolute best resources is Lan Sluder, who has published a free (for the moment) guides - one for Ambergris "San Pedro Cool" a 200 page guide and also the Best Hotels and Restaurants of Belize" . Both can be downloaded on: Belize First Magazine, the # 1 magazine on travel, life and retirement in Belize.

Lan wrote and recently updated the Fodor's Belize book too...

Another very useful resource for Belize is: Hostmonster.com | Welcome ... this should read Belizeforum.com , so try that as link looks strange on this post...

One last thought for those going to the jungle - went last year to Duplooys and thought it was terrific - sent a large group of friends there this year...

If anyone has any thoughts on dive operators they would recommend on Ambergris I'd be happy hear about them.

Take a look at Corona del Mar. Small place with absolutely the best staff!!!!!!!!!!! Check thier reviews on TripAdvisor. Reasonable rooms and plenty of restuarants close by.

Dive ops will pick you up at the dock right out front.

Belize City to AC. Fly. Last May we flew Tropic Air for $65.00 a person. Less than 20 minute flight.

Have a great time!!

Can you see the blue hole from the airplane ride? My group is going in 3 weeks and am anxious for some good dives!

Becky,

You can't see the Blue Hole from the plane going from BZE to AC. Most of the short flight is at only 2500 feet MSL.
I do recommend the boat trip. Full day, 3 dives.
Have Fun!!

Steve

go to cay caulker its nice, dive with frenchies dive shop, you will be happy, hotel for all budget.

well Steve, it sounds like fun......I have 2 1/2 weeks to countdown!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom