Heading to cave country soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm heading to cave country (high springs) fairly soon. Figuring out what to pack.

I don't know the area at all. I'm staying at the blue gem motel.

I plan to cook for myself, so I'm wondering if there is a place there to get isopro fuel canisters for my stoves or do I need a plan B?

Any other tips for the area would be appreciated.

Big plus my plane tickets were 124 round trip.

I plan to cook for myself, so I'm wondering if there is a place there to get isopro fuel canisters for my stoves or do I need a plan B?

REI in Gainesville as isopro fuel canisters. There are a couple of camp shops in High Springs that might have them.

Other than bug spray and a hand broom, pretty much anything needed in HS is needed elsewhere.

What are the camping stores? And why a hand broom?

There's a True Value hardware store that probably has the fuel canisters -- might give them a call. There's a Winn-Dixie (grocery store) very close to your hotel. Have a great time!

Ps: the Reuben at the Pink Flamingo is great.

What are the camping stores? And why a hand broom?

I believe there is place called Adventure Outfitters in HS, I think I might have seen another but I don't camp.

If you have trouble if push comes to shove, I can always drop a couple of mostly full canisters at a shop for you. I keep a couple of the 4oz canisters around for my Thermacell. One is completely full, the other is mostly full as the Thermacell sips gas.

A hand broom is great to clean off the benches and tables. They are always dirty.

There's a True Value hardware store that probably has the fuel canisters -- might give them a call. There's a Winn-Dixie (grocery store) very close to your hotel. Have a great time!

I don't think I've seen isopro cannisters outside of dedicated camping stores, as they are more for back packers.

Ps: the Reuben at the Pink Flamingo is great.

From what I've heard I'm going to get my a$$ handed to me.

Is there a liquor store there, I've been told every time I mess up I owe my instructor a bottle of Grey goose..... figures I should just pre pay a few.

From what I've heard I'm going to get my a$$ handed to me.
I'm assuming you're starting cave training? Take or buy some Aquaphor (or Vaseline if you can't find that). Slather a bunch on your finger pads before drifting off to sleep if they look dry, cracked, or red. Trying for long pulls will rotate your fingers, rubbing them raw, so don't overdo it. Good luck!

I'm assuming you're starting cave training? Take or buy some Aquaphor (or Vaseline if you can't find that). Slather a bunch on your finger pads before drifting off to sleep if they look dry, cracked, or red. Trying for long pulls will rotate your fingers, rubbing them raw, so don't overdo it. Good luck!

CCR training

Yes, there are liquor stores. 😁

You cook on a camp stove at a motel?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom