Health Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePartner1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, it happened again, like clockwork. About half the time I do a week of repititive dives someplace warm I develop a miserable cold on the last day. Today I'll get a plane with something close to pnemonia that started after my last dive yesterday.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how to avoid this. Flying home sick is a tiresome way to end a week of high quality bottom time.

It's really not possible to diagnose your situation via the board, but I can suggest a couple things that you may wish to explore:

1. Use only your own regulator set up, snorkel and any other gear that you breath through or that comes in contact with your mouth. No using rental gear, friend's rig, etc.

Regularly disinfect that gear following the directions for use of such products as SaniZide Plus, Advance TBE, Bi-Arrest 2 & Confidence Plus.

2. Minimize any aspiration of water, either through your regulator, snorkel or while breathing without gear while waiting to re-enter the boat.

3. Take good care of youself before, during & after dive trips. Avoid getting chilled, get adequate rest, eat properly, etc.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

As usual, DocV has done a superb job of advising you! I would like to emphasize item # 2 - aspiration of saltwater.

Over a long week of diving with repet dives, even the slightest amount of saltwater can lead eventually to a condition called 'salt water aspiration syndrome'. This condition is seen quite frequently and presents as a form of pneumonitis on the chest radiograph. Carl Edmonds reported it as the most frequent occurring malady in Royal Australian Navy divers and was due to the aspiration of small amounts of saltwater from inexperience, buddy breathing or from a faulty regulator. *

It responds to rest, oxygen, warming but no other specific treatment such as antibiotics or bronchodilators.

* Diving and Subaquatic Medicine, 4th Edit. Edmonds et al. p. 273

Great advice, and it is appreciated. I never use rental gear but need to start disinfecting my gear after each dive.

I think (2) is the answer, as it gets better through time without meds. My regular is sweet at depth but leaks when I swim upside down and sometimes when I hover inverted looking for critters (one of my favorite things in the world) and I recall inhaling seawater mist at least a few times on this and prior problem dives. It's probably time to relegate my reg. to a pony bottle and invest in one that works upside down.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom