Heavy legs and bouyant head suggestions (opposite of earlier post)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's the most efficient body positioning for finning, whether flutter or frog kicking, any other position creates unnecessary drag. If you can dive in that position you can adjust your back to where you can flip anywhere from head down to head up just by adjusting your body and head position.

Arching my back was a method I was using prior to compensating with the weights around my 1st stage. Although it is effective, it caused much strain on my back (lower) which has been an issue for me. I always (feel that I do) have my knees bent in a vertical position. A BP/W has always been an investment I would like to take my gear setup and I like the HOLLIS SMS75 and 100 models because I understand sidemount (although not necessary for my current diving excursion because I am not skilled/trained for penetration style diving) seems to assist individuals with back "arching" difficulty and strain and having the option of still using rear tank mounting when sidemounts would not seem appropriate for the diving conditions (diving with friends on a tropical vacation for example). But 300 for a bp/w is not a bad price!
My shoulder straps I have always been completely pulled taunt (forward) feeling this would also help. UNDERH2OMAN, you make a great point that this approach might be doing more harm than good and I should do the opposite approach as then I will be able to have my tank higher on my bcd unit while keeping tank in same proportion to my frame but also lowering my aircell unit, hence lowering my negative bouyancy to lower lower torso. Sounds like I need to get in my LDO pool and try out these recommendations. Or suck it up and get in a lake (very cold lake at this time!). Thank you for all your responses!
Dave

These are obviously for the transpac, but the SMS75/100 are similar enough that the same fitting schedule applies. This is a very common misconception about how these rigs are supposed to be donned and how they are supposed to fit. The upper shoulder straps don't do a whole lot once you are in the water, it is mainly the chest strap, crotch strap, and the waist belt which is why the order of operations has shoulder strap adjustment last. Unfortunately most new divers to these types of rigs as well as BP/W's with one piece harnesses run the rigs way too high on their backs because they adjust based on the shoulder straps, but they are supposed to be loose, the only snug straps are crotch, chest, and waist. Importance is in that order as well fwiw.

[video=youtube;zh-9Mo2rmJw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh-9Mo2rmJw&list=UUVCYEickXcRonYDFqvvZ4hw[/video]

[video=youtube;YGlNnsZiWrM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlNnsZiWrM&list=UUVCYEickXcRonYDFqvvZ4hw[/video]

[video=youtube;5hTtxV21qiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hTtxV21qiU&list=UUVCYEickXcRonYDFqvvZ4hw[/video]

It also depends where the weight is. If you put your weight in the middle of the body, it will not act as much to sink the head as if you were to move it toward the shoulders. Think of it as a lever. Try to move ALL the weight to your shoulders, as close to the ears as possible. This way the weight will act as a lever to sink your light shoulders, might not need as much weight. Try to get two 4 pounders and attach to the shoulder straps, one on each strap.

936 - ScubaBoard Gallery

Do you see a yellow pocket on my shoulder strap? This allows me to balance myself by using a correct weight on my belt and on my shoulders. You don't need a pocket, you can put the strap through the weight.

Here is another pic: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/195888/title/0971/cat/500

It also depends where the weight is. If you put your weight in the middle of the body, it will not act as much to sink the head as if you were to move it toward the shoulders. Think of it as a lever. Try to move ALL the weight to your shoulders, as close to the ears as possible. This way the weight will act as a lever to sink your light shoulders, might not need as much weight. Try to get two 4 pounders and attach to the shoulder straps, one on each strap.

936 - ScubaBoard Gallery

Do you see a yellow pocket on my shoulder strap? This allows me to balance myself by using a correct weight on my belt and on my shoulders. You don't need a pocket, you can put the strap through the weight.

Here is another pic: 0971 - ScubaBoard Gallery
It looks like you have a lot of air in your wing. Why is that?

second that, with that much air on an al80 you are grossly overweight. Your regulator hoses are also twisted, safety problem, you should always be able to follow the hose directly to the first stage without any interference.

I am a leg heavy diver in any kind of wetsuit or no suit, whether tropical 3mm/no suit, or cold water 7/8mm suit. To ecounter this issue, I first go with light fins, OMS slipstream for wetsuit diving. Then I put weight on upper tank bands. In cold water, I need enough weight that I can still use a SS backplate. In warm water, I have to use a AL plate, so I can still put 4-6lb on the upper tank bands without being over weighted..

For cold water with drysuit, I have no leg heavy issue because I can also put some air in my feet to make it more buoyant

How are the front shoulder adjustment straps adjusted when you are wearing your BC? They should only be about 1/2 way through in a 7mm wetsuit. If they are completely pulled through it moves the air cell higher on your back. You could try loosening the shoulder straps and move the cummerbund lower on your waist. the tank will get moved a little higher as well.

+1 to underH2Oman's suggestion... try moving the cell lower on your body and move the tank higher.

---------- Post added October 21st, 2014 at 09:02 PM ----------

Arching my back was a method I was using prior to compensating with the weights around my 1st stage. Although it is effective, it caused much strain on my back (lower) which has been an issue for me.

You need to be comfortable in the water... if you're uncomfortable and/or it is a strain, it is not right for you. It will take a while to get the gear configuration/trim figured out but it needs to be comfortable. Your body should be relaxed while diving.

There are different BCD options that will allow you to distribute weigh differently like back inflate BCD or back plate and wing, however the simplest thing to try would be change your fins. Some fins are buoyant and you add a neoprene boot you could easily make your feet 1-2 lbs. neutrally buoyant

that would be 1-2lbs positively buoyant...... can't have any lbs neutrally buoyant, 0 is 0.

Always amazes me how many people keep screwing around with trim weights when proper body positioning will fix the vast majority of issues. You don't see most technical divers using trim weights, the sidemount guys have some leeway with it, but even they usually only use a 1lb trim weight on each shoulder strap. Between properly balancing the rig as far as buoyancy, and positioning the tank properly, you can fix most seriously out of whack trim problems. The biggest problem with buoyant head is people don't dive in a proper body position so as soon as you allow your knees to start falling the rest of your body will follow. This is analogous to how you can float on your back as long as your chin is tilted up, but as soon as you bring your chin to your chest your whole body will follow it and you will go vertical. Diving is exactly the same way, if you don't have your torso and thighs in line, and your feet are sticking too far out, you will increase the moment around your CoG and you will go head up feet down. If you get in a proper diving position, you move the CoG close to your head and you will balance that way. You want the CoG to be variable so you can make these types of movements just by body positioning instead of finning.

I.e. Want to go head up, all you have to do is extend your feet a few inches while arching your back and you will go head up.

head down, tuck your chin forward and bring your feet a few inches close to your butt and voi la, you are now head down

roll to the side, extend the leg on the side you want to go down a few inches and chicken wing out one arm, and you will roll over on one side.

No hand motions, no fin motions, just slight adjustments to your body positioning and you will do all sorts of acrobatics. You can also compensate for slight variances in gear changes to the CoG. Good divers can dive in trim, with the tanks moved a few inches in either direction, you will learn to compensate subconsciously, same as you have to when the tanks get empty and there is a few inches of shift as the butt gets floaty, the tanks CoG moves from about the middle to far enough forward where the tanks hang vertically. You have to compensate for this while diving which is why I laugh at the idiots that are all about millimeter precision with weight placement for trim. I'm sorry, but you take a leak while diving and it moves your CoG, every breath of air you take changes your CoG because it moves the tanks CoG incrementally forward with each breath, every foot you descent or ascent the wetsuit changes it's CoG based on depth compensition. Every time your hands move, you are changing the CoG by quite a bit, so precision placement of weight is just trying to compensate for poor diver skill. Now, that being said, there are things that will throw you for a loop. Doubles placed too high on the back, in a drysuit, with neutrally buoyant fins. You will flip over on your head, that is a massive amount of offset weight that you can't compensate for without kicking. Sidemount or CCR diving in a wetsuit with Hollis F1 bat fins, or even Jet Fins that are negative enough to cause you to have trim problems. Those are very real, but those fins have a 2-3lb negative buoyancy at the end of your feet, and sidemount and CCR have a much lower CoG than backmount diving, so a shift of that much weight isn't something you can compensate for. That's why you see many of the wetsuit divers with OMS Slipstreams, Dive Rite, Quattro's, etc. In backmount singles which is what we are talking about, there should be no need for trim weights of any kind unless you have fins that are very heavy, i.e. F1's/Jet fins, in which case those are actually trim weights, whether you think of them like that or not.

Diving is a dynamic activity and your body can automatically compensate for incredible variations in the environment, but you have to learn how to do it, and that can only be done by hours underwater, preferably in a pool sitting around in 3 feet of water, just hovering, doing flat turns, and backing up. Only then will you learn how to compensate properly. If you really want to get your sh!t together, go find one of the GUE people and either take Fundies, or befriend one of them and let them help you. Most dive shops and instructors don't know jack about how to distribute a rig properly, how to properly position it, etc etc. It's not very difficult, but you have to know what you're doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom