Hello from Knoxville TN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m relatively new to diving having only gone on 2 in the past year using rental gear (excluding my certification dives)
and I’m trying to buy gear rn. I mainly want to dive freshwater however I plan to go to the keys next summer. The local shops service aqualung, scuba pro, Cressi, apek, mares, dive rite, hog, and oceanic. Any advice is appreciated! Also I hate Kia souls.

Hi there, I'm also in Knoxville (indifferent to Kia Souls). I know you said mainly freshwater, but are you thinking open water recreational or technical/cave. Truthfully almost any commonly available gear will work fine for basic open water (I dive a cheap reg set and jacket BCD that have been great), but if you know you're headed toward tech/cave diving then that will probably lead you to other options like backplate & wing (BP/W) and/or a sidemount set-up.

Hi there, I'm also in Knoxville (indifferent to Kia Souls). I know you said mainly freshwater, but are you thinking open water recreational or technical/cave. Truthfully almost any commonly available gear will work fine for basic open water (I dive a cheap reg set and jacket BCD that have been great), but if you know you're headed toward tech/cave diving then that will probably lead you to other options like backplate & wing (BP/W) and/or a sidemount set-up.
Thanks for the advice; I am doing what you described for open water, just shopping for a cheaper reg and bcd. But I do intend to eventually upgrade as I go into cave diving.

Thanks for the advice; I am doing what you described for open water, just shopping for a cheaper reg and bcd. But I do intend to eventually upgrade as I go into cave diving.
My son and I both ordered this package: Buy Scuba Gear Value System Package at Low Price | Divers Supply

We selected 2 of the optional upgrades: (1) upgrade the reg to the Sea Elite Covert balanced reg, which breathes great at depth; and (2) the 3 gauge console, which adds a compass to the console so you always have one with you. We have well over 100 dives each on these packages, fresh and salt, a fair number over 100ft. deep (deepest = 122ft. on the Oriskany wreck) and they have been great. Sea Elite is the Divers Supply house brand, made by H.O.G./Edge. Check out the online reviews also. Hope this helps!

Edit: again, while this has been a great set-up for general open water diving, if you intend to do cave/technical soon you should probably look around more.

Edit 2: We also bought the Mares Puck Pro+ computer from Divers Supply. They offer it at a nice discount if you buy it with the package. It is a great basic computer at a great price. After 4 years ours are still working great, and I just decided to upgrade to a Shearwater Perdix 2 largely because a couple of functions it has will reduce task loading for solo night dives when I have to tow a flag also (my best dive buddy is about to go off to college, so I'm planning to do a lot more solo). But the Perdix is almost $1,000 more than the Puck, and I still think the Puck Pro+ is a great value, and still use it on more basic dives and as a back-up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom