Hello from newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muppetman:
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Jester - Yep, I might try cold water diving now I'm in Michigan, but not for a while yet. I don't think my first venture into cold water should be ice-diving :wink:
Dude, please...."might"?

I'd wait for the ice to thaw, perhaps, but I wonder if you realize that you're located near some of the most amazing and fascinating wreck diving in the continental US? Not only is it rich in history and folklore, but the wrecks of Lake Superior in particular, Whitefish Point and the Islands, offer some wonderful wreck diving - particularly colder and deeper wrecks that are relatively seldom visited. There are wrecks up there where, when you open a locker, there are still clothes hanging in the locker, and she went down nearly 100 years ago. Few places on earth offer the profusion of fresh water wrecks as Michigan, new wrecks are being discovered each year, and there are archives and published books that document the stories of many of them which makes diving them far more interesting. You're in a wreck diver's paradise there. Get a drysuit, get an argon bottle, get a couple sets of big steels, and get planning for next season! It's one of the most unique settings on the planet, and the Lake Superior shoreline of northern Michigan in the summertime is one of the most beautiful sights you'll ever see.

Life is short. Time for you to discover Great Lakes coldwater wreck diving! Here is Mecca, a place to get started and a start to some fascinating exploration:
http://www.shipwreckmuseum.org/

I envy you.

Doc

WELCOME to ScubaBoard!!!
You got quite a welcoming!
Doc Intrepid suggested that you dress up and give wreck diving a try; I second that, some pretty interesting stuff.
Happy your with us.

STOCK MESSAGE
Hmm. Maybe.
This is a great place to meet people, talk about diving, and get information on just about any aspect of diving -or other subjects sometimes- that you can think of. Roaming through the forums is great help for me.
Now get wet with us and dive into the forums to ask questions, answer those that you can and even chat with folks about diving dreams and nightmares. ScubaBoard is a great place to spend your required Surface Intervals.
Again, Welcome to the greatest addiction!
It's so easy to forget the things that we love, but here at ScubaBoard, we're all doing our dead level best to maintain the highest level of SCUBA ADDICTION possible.
Please stay with us, interact, and keep your need to get wet alive!
When you post a question, be as sure as you can that it's in the right forum or you'll probably find it moved to where it can receive better attention.
The folks here are passionate about their diving, some about their specialty, so the reading can get very interesting, sometimes very hot.
Don't forget, if you haven't already done it, to fill out you profile as completely as reasonable, it'll save you being asked and having to repeat the information often.
[size=+3]Merry Christmas![/size]

Tom

Doc - you put it so well. Most of the wrecks I have dived in the past have been artificially sunk, or are very recent. I've never dived wrecks with any "real history", and the site you directed me to really got me thinking.

I was toying with the idea of dry-suiting when I was living in the UK, but the low-vis put me off somewhat. My bro-in-law is a keen dry-suiter, but he never managed to convince me. I guess I never considered diving in a dry suit 'cos I like the feeling of being "at one" with nature - I have only ever dived in shorts before, never even worn a shorty. Although it can get cold, even in warm water, on the third or fourth dive of the day!

However, after browsing this site and looking at the site you pointed out, it looks like I am convinced! And you are right about it all being on my doorstep now, so to speak. As you say, life if too short - I'm only going to be based in Michigan for the next nine months, so I should at least give it a go.

At least I can spend the winter months relearning buoyancy - only just got the hang of it after 50 or so dives! Oh well, back too the classroom.

Thanks for the "lesson" Doc, and the members of the forum from Michigan probably won't thank you when I hassling for buddies who will dive with an inexperienced dry-suiter!

:369: Hi there muppetman, my name is Matt. Welcome to the Board! You should enjoy it here, you will find lots of information about diving. You can also meet many nice people too. Have a fun time here. :auto:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Back
Top Bottom