Hello!! just a quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ladyvalea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just started SSI open water diver ....just did my first pool experience ....it was scary!!
anyway. my teacher wants use to learn how to clear and purge and breath from an upside down regulator! he said its because a long time ago a man needed air from his buddy, and the buddy gave him the octopus upside down and the man inhale a lot of water and drowned..but later at surface he was revived..

and some techinque No air for lungs but only the tongue " a fast in and out motion" ?? to push water out of the regulator when you can't blow or press the purge botton..

anyone else do this stuff? I still don't understand the tongue purge thingy?

anyhow,,,hello...it nice to be a part of this board!!!

Well, I've never heard of that technique, but I can tell you this. You will get used to the way the regs feel in your mouth.

And you should ALWAYS attempt to purge/clear the reg before breathing in if it hasn't been in your mouth.

And you will learn also - it's very easy to breathe from a free flowing (constant purge button) regulator.

Whenever I have been handed an Octo even in practicing skills, I always feel for the stage and take my first breath as if it were free flowing in case for some reason the reg isn't working. Once I know air is possible to obtain I just pop it in and clear normally by exhaling.

When my buddy and I practice skills, we always pop the Octo in while it is "free flowing." This may be a wasted step, for all I know. But I've never had an issue.

My PADI instructor taught me to always take the first hit from a new reg while air is coming out of it. That way you can guarantee you never get a mouthful of water unless you intend to. It's worked so far, including when I've had my primary kicked out of my mouth.

I just started SSI open water diver ....just did my first pool experience ....it was scary!!
anyway. my teacher wants use to learn how to clear and purge and breath from an upside down regulator! he said its because a long time ago a man needed air from his buddy, and the buddy gave him the octopus upside down and the man inhale a lot of water and drowned..but later at surface he was revived..

and some techinque No air for lungs but only the tongue " a fast in and out motion" ?? to push water out of the regulator when you can't blow or press the purge botton..

anyone else do this stuff? I still don't understand the tongue purge thingy?

anyhow,,,hello...it nice to be a part of this board!!!

I'm thinking that some of this may have shifted in the hearing and retelling but I could be wrong.

Dealing with an upside down regulator is important. Most regulators when presented to a buddy will tend to be upside down unless the hose is contorted. In most cases an upside down second stage will feel like you are breathing through a wet sponge. You will be fine but you need to know what this feels like. For this reason getting some time on upside down regulators is a good thing. Also the mouthpiece is often canted at an angle and it will sit weird in your mouth when upside down. As long as you have air to breathe anything else is an inconvenience.

He may have also been talking about an "empty lung" recovery. One skill that you may not have done yet is regulator recovery. Essentially the student removes her regulator, tosses it aside, recovers it, gets it back into her mouth while purging and resumes breathing. In training you will take a nice breath beforehand and be blowing a tiny stream of bubbles (to demonstrate an open airway) and be happy as a clam while you retrieve the regulator and restore breathing. In practice you may have just exhaled deeply when your regulator is yanked (not common but you gotta be prepared). You need to be confident that your method of purging will let you restore breathing with little or no prior exhalation into the regulator. It's an easy skill that you can try in the shallow end of the pool and progress from there.

As for thrusting the lounge in and out it almost sounds like an alternate ear clearing method but not quite. Conceivably I can see the tongue creating negative pressure in the regulator cavity as it is retracted thus initiating a purge flow but that's a new one to me, especially as an OW skill. The fact that your instructor is perhaps adding a few extra techniques is a good thing IMO. Perhaps someone else will recognize it or you can report back.

SCUBA training is largely about disaster mitigation and is totally unlike diving. Since training time is limited it is a concentrated dose of how to deal with what can go wrong because anyone can dive when things go right. Enjoy the course. It should be a progressive process and in the end you will be surprised at what you can do. Remember that diving is an adaptation, humans have no business breathing underwater. Take things a step at a time and if you need an extra try or 2 to get comfortable with something just keep plugging. We are all unique. The scariness will soon be replaced with excitement and getting over any challenges will be worth the effort.

We look forward to a full report.

Pete

Ive never heard of that either.Lots of different instructors come up with things they think you should be aware of that may not be in the training manual.One thing most OW divers dont do is s-drill.I never did until I took cavern and cave courses.At the surface we figure our turn around pressure and write it on our wrist slates.In caving,penetration is one third of your starting pressure,two thirds is your turn written on slate.We then do a bubble check underwater on each others tank valves etc.if ok we pat them on the head.Now the important part,I signal out of air.My buddy hands me his reg,right side up holding it by the hose[hand against the 2nd stage] but not grasping the stage.That way I can see that its right side up as well as being able to purge it if I need to without his hand over the reg body.I then return to him his reg and the drill is reversed.By practiceing this drill before diving with someone new,you can see how they will react if you need to do it for real and address any problems with it in a safe contolled environment.I urge all OW divers to take the cavern course.The more you know the better youll be.

For what it's worth I tried jump starting my second stage by tongue pumping it today and had no success.

Pete

No PURGE botton pressing allowed! While under water we remove the regulator and push all the air out of our Lungs "Tap our chest" to show that we are out of air! and open our mouths to show the teacher we have a mouth full of water and not air,,,We put our mouths over the regulator and I think it is Tongue purge? or creating a Forceful Backwash into the regulator .. its like we move the water in our mouth and spit it back into the regulator really fast, and it clears the regulator without using the PURGE button ...Just water !! " I thinks its like you have a mouthful of mouthwash and are swishing it around in your mouth and create some power to push the water out of the regulator???? is there an offical name for this techinque? thanks

Last edited:
interesting, i've never heard of this... i'm curious to know how you can clear the reg if all your doing is spitting more wather into it...?

I've never heard of this either, but you can bet I'll be trying it out.

We call it the "Tongue Flick Method". The way we do it is more like flipping your tongue across the opening in the mouthpiece or simply sticking your tongue into it and withdrawing with a bit of a flip of the tip as you pull it out. There's a way to describe it better but it's inappropriate for a workplace friendly board :wink: It's never been a requirement to pass the class but it's presented as something to try, not everyone can do it successfully on the first few tries. The ones who do the most snickering when it's described are generally the most successful at it :eyebrow:
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom