Hello?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divematt:
Only 17 more days until I get to see the sand covered reefs of Cozumel and I can't wait. I'm bringing my camera so it better be really bad! Seriously now folks, are there some reefs that Mother nature needs to sweep off more than others? I'm trying to get in up to 23 dives in the 10 days I'll be there and wondered if a couple of sites would better be left "undived" for awhile longer as "Mother" dusts them off a bit? I'm a big fan of the deeper more southern and northern reefs anyway so I'll leave it up the knowledgeable dive guides to choose the less damaged ones. I actually look forward to see what the hurricanes can do and follow their progress as I CONTINUE TO VISIT COZUMEL DIVE SITES REGULARLY.

I'm not giving up on my favorite dive destination!:D

Christy, Do you still drink that Starbucks Cafe Verona Whole Bean? Because if you do, that's what you're getting for your birthday present! Happy Birthday. We can't wait to be back.

Matt
Hey Divematt,

We dove Coz for our 5th trip over New Years. We found Santa Rosa wall to be particularly depressing. It'd been our favorite in years past but it was really covered quite badly. The currents were ripping so that may have been part of the problem as it was like diving in a snow storm. On the other hand, Paradise reef wasn't as bad as I had expected given it's location and shallow depth. But in general, you'll want to head way south, Palancar or below, and stay deep for the best conditions. We found all the Palancar sites to be quite beautiful still. Columbia Deep and Maracaibo were gorgeous as well. Cedral wasn't too bad either....always seem to encounter a great deal of life there. Didn't hit Punta Sur this trip.

marcus8:
Hey Divematt,

We dove Coz for our 5th trip over New Years. We found Santa Rosa wall to be particularly depressing. It'd been our favorite in years past but it was really covered quite badly. The currents were ripping so that may have been part of the problem as it was like diving in a snow storm. On the other hand, Paradise reef wasn't as bad as I had expected given it's location and shallow depth. But in general, you'll want to head way south, Palancar or below, and stay deep for the best conditions. We found all the Palancar sites to be quite beautiful still. Columbia Deep and Maracaibo were gorgeous as well. Cedral wasn't too bad either....always seem to encounter a great deal of life there. Didn't hit Punta Sur this trip.

Actually all of those deep sites far north and south are my favorites anyway and hopefully we'll be able to go to them.

Thanks,
Matt

marcus8:
Hey Divematt,

I was there in early January as well, and I thought the same thing about Santa Rosa. I saw some damage and sand coverage on every dive, but the worst I saw were the sections we dove of Santa Rosa, Tuniche, and Las Palmas. The least damaged was Chun Cha Cab.

I am looking forward to going back in May and seeing how much difference a few months can make.

Did the nefarious "Good Bye Cozumel" thread scare everybody off?
They tried to get it going again on a different thread, but the other side didn't show. Maybe got caught in a sandstorm. :D

jpomerantz:
I agree Gordon - just that May is definately not coming soon enough. 22 degrees and snow today!
Snowing hard here now, 26 degrees tonight, Rescue training this weekend. :11:

24 days to Coz! :biggrinba

DandyDon:
They tried to get it going again on a different thread, but the other side didn't show. Maybe got caught in a sandstorm. :D

And just what thread would that be Don? You can pretend that you aren't taking pot shots at me as subtle as you try to be, but I know exactly what you are doing, ...even if others don't.

I shared objective photos of sand on the reefs, damaged finger coral, and healthy reef...since several people asked. I was HARDLY trying to get anything going again.

Matt, Gordon, et. al...Santa Rosa was in fact quite depressing. I actually hadn't dove it since January until yesterday. I was THRILLED to see the reef yesterday. Vis was clear and endless, the colors were vibrant, and there was probably half the sand deposits that were there in January.

Tormentos was also really beautiful and vis was endless. Tormentos does have more sand than other reefs, but it was always the sand dune reef anyway...one of the reasons I like it so much...because the big white "beach" areas between coral heads really lights up the reef and makes for some great photo opportunities!

Christi:
And just what thread would that be Don? You can pretend that you aren't taking pot shots at me as subtle as you try to be, but I know exactly what you are doing, ...even if others don't.

I shared objective photos of sand on the reefs, damaged finger coral, and healthy reef...since several people asked. I was HARDLY trying to get anything going again.

Matt, Gordon, et. al...Santa Rosa was in fact quite depressing. I actually hadn't dove it since January until yesterday. I was THRILLED to see the reef yesterday. Vis was clear and endless, the colors were vibrant, and there was probably half the sand deposits that were there in January.

Tormentos was also really beautiful and vis was endless. Tormentos does have more sand than other reefs, but it was always the sand dune reef anyway...one of the reasons I like it so much...because the big white "beach" areas between coral heads really lights up the reef and makes for some great photo opportunities!
Nah, just laughing with the others. Beats the alternative. I know it can difficult to see the beauty in natures destruction, but it is part of the natural cycle with rebirth, new life, and all

I really commend you folks who live there, lived thru Wilma, and bounced back as well as you have and are. Looking forward to being a humble guest on your island again. :wink:

Originally Posted by Christi

Christy,

Is it the current that eventually "sweeps" the sand away over time?

Matt

I'll be there in June and then probably back in December after the Presidente has re-opened.I did want to ask one thing about making the sauce from La Chosa. At what point do you fold in the parameciums?

RonFrank:
I'd be more than happy to pack you in my gear bag, but I'm not going to Coz at this time, so you may be a bit dissapointed in the end results :D

LOL...and this isn't even the "Corrupt a Wish" thread.

However, I do have to admit that I get a warm fuzzy feeling from the smell of neoprene, so if you stuff me in your gear bag to hang around a while, I might claim squatter's rights, and perhaps even swipe your regs and hoses.

Back
Top Bottom