Hello?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jim, sorry I have a dry sense of humor and after reading the locked up thread I just had to make that remark. I have even been told by a LDS that Coz was destroyed and not to go before I booked this trip, I dont mind peoples opinions but I have never let it affect what I want to do. Truth be told I am bouncing off the walls to get down there. On Sunday the 2nd some SBers are getting together for a drink at La Villa Dorado.

I hit a couple that I'd give a miss to next time - Yucab for sure. Columbia Shallows wasn't as much as I had enjoyed it in the past although others on the boat who had never been there enjoyed it. Paradise was in better shape than I thought it would be. I'd go as far south as possible (and even around to the other side of the island if the op will take you there); and of course I love the Los Tortugas dive over off the mainland (again, if op will take you there). I didn't get up north this past trip so can't comment on the condition there.

divematt:
Seriously now folks, are there some reefs that Mother nature needs to sweep off more than others? I'm trying to get in up to 23 dives in the 10 days I'll be there and wondered if a couple of sites would better be left "undived" for awhile longer as "Mother" dusts them off a bit? .[/
Matt

MMM:
I hit a couple that I'd give a miss to next time - Yucab for sure.

Drag. I love Yucab for a second dive. Had a ripping current there one time and did Yucab and Tormentos and surfaced with air because we had just plain run out of reef....was a fun ride.

James

Daxter:
I have even been told by a LDS that Coz was destroyed and not to go before I booked this trip, I dont mind peoples opinions but I have never let it affect what I want to do.

Same thing happened to me. Can't wait to tell them how great my trip was (and how wrong they were.) We spent half of what they paid for their group trip to *****. It stinks for the people of Cozumel who depend upon the business. Seen from an admittedly and totally selfish point of view, its nice to sort of have the whole island to yourself. All in all, though, I feel rotten at how much business has been pushed out of Cozumel by sensationalized media reports and doomsday reactionism.

I'd rather the LDS's kept their mouths shut until they get the REAL scoop, but they don't ever ask my opinion.

yak:
I though you were gonna sing some Pink Floyd there Gordon.

I noticed you'll be in Coz the same time as I will. We'll overlap on Saturday May 6. I'd love to have a brew or two with you and any other SB peeps that are in town. Let me know if that would work.

We can even sing some Pink Floyd if we become "comfortably numb":wink:

Where are you staying? Sure, we can hoist a cervesa if we can find each other, as long as you don't mind meeting up with me on my first of 14 days there on your last day... ;^)

Shine on, you crazy diamond...

ggunn:
Where are you staying? Sure, we can hoist a cervesa if we can find each other, as long as you don't mind meeting up with me on my first of 14 days there on your last day... ;^)

Shine on, you crazy diamond...

Sounds good. We won't put too much of a dent in your liver, as we'll be diving Dos Ojos the next day. My buddy Jim and I are staying at the 'cuda.

DIVER BEWARE!

SAND FROM THE COZUMEL REEFS HAS BEEN KNOW TO ACCUMULATE IN DIVERS SHORTS.

MAY CAUSE EXTREME IRRITATION AND CHAFFING!

:)

100 days to go for me. :(

I was in Cozumel in December, February and I'm planning now for end of May. Yes, there are sites that suffered substantial damage and yes, there are areas with lots of sand. Anyone who tells you there isn't might as well be selling you swamp land. But there are also sites that were almost untouched. Even on the sites with sand and damage it's really a matter of how you approach it. If you're the kind of diver that needs to be visually awed the moment you get under the water then in some cases all you will see is ruin. If you're the kind of diver that looks at every dive as a new experience and focus on one smaller area at a time then you'll see lots of amazing stuff on EVERY dive. I enjoyed seeing the changes from Dec to Feb and was surprised at how many new sponges were already budding. I'm very glad to have the opportunity to see first hand over many years to come how a reef rebuilds itself after a major natural disaster. What an amazing opportunity and one that hopefully doesn't come along again.

The perfect dive trip is more then just good diving. If you have the best diving in the world but the topside atmosphere sucks then it won't be a good trip. Cozumel is a great dive destination for the combination of what it offers both above and below the water.

Anyone want to pack an overly enthusiastic, mediocre diver in their gear bag? I give SI backrubs!

Giggi:
Anyone want to pack an overly enthusiastic, mediocre diver in their gear bag? I give SI backrubs!

I'd be more than happy to pack you in my gear bag, but I'm not going to Coz at this time, so you may be a bit dissapointed in the end results :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom