Help Ban Shark Finning forever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes.

It's not just the practice of fishing for sharks that are slow to reproduce - with many species dangerously close to extinction - but it's how the practices are being conducted.

Here is a quick outline from the Shark Trust:

Finning is the process of cutting off shark fins (often while the shark is still alive) and discarding the body at sea. This is a hugely wasteful practice - wet fins typically represent <5% of a shark’s body weight. Finning occurs worldwide, in commercial and artisanal fisheries, with finned sharks including both those caught as bycatch and those directly targeted. Demand for shark fins comes primarily from the market for shark fin soup, a prestigious commodity in many Far Eastern cultures.

Shark fin soup © arthur hungry
Most sharks grow slowly, mature late and give birth to a few large pups. Consequently, shark populations decline rapidly when targeted by fisheries and recover slowly, if at all. There are now 110 species of chondrichthyan fish listed in a threat category on the IUCN’s Red List, with a further 95 species listed as Near Threatened. Over the last 15 years some Atlantic shark populations have declined by up to 80%. The environmental impact of removing large numbers of sharks from ocean ecosystems is hugely complex and unpredictable.

Few States have yet developed effective shark fisheries management legislation, and it is currently not illegal to sell shark fin soup or other shark products, unless the product is made from a protected species.

blah, blah, blah......

Simply put, shark fin soup (or "fish wing soup" as it is called in some places) is a status symbol. The relatively bland soup is an pronouncement that a family has arrived at affluence. It is ordered as a symbol of position and status in restaurants or prepared when visitors call.

Are you kidding me, can't they just drive BMW's like the rest of the world......education is the key to so many problems in the world, even then, you will always have the idiots!

Just wanted to add:

It's not only shark fin soup that contains this gruesome item. If you go to some high end sushi places, they will often have shark fin items. So diners, beware, next time you go for that Japanese dinner.

Oh Gezz I hope The Tuna roll and California roll and my Spider roll don't have shark in them ehug

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, but I noticed the discussion on shark finning and I thought I'd let you know about my anti-shark finning website which I set up a couple of years ago. I read about it on The Guardian and was just disgusted that such a thing was taking place and on such a tremendous scale - I worked out that 3 sharks are being killed every second - just so their fins can be used for shark fin soup. I have a mailing list that people might want to sign up to as well as pages on myspace and facebook - the idea is to spread awareness of the problem and to pressure places that sell or faciliate the sale of shark fin products.

Thank you to Scuba Brett and everyone else who is helping to make a difference.

OK, the forum won't let me post the URL but it is STOP SHARK FINNING with dot net on the end.

MMM Shark is tasty!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom