Help before I take the plunge on BP/W rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a lot for your input everyone!

I somehow had anticipated some of you guys would talk me into going the hog way. I can see I wasn't wrong! Thing is I really like its simplicity, but I'm trying to be practical here. I picture myself trying to get rid of the thing in the water OR climbing up the ladder with the whole rig on. Neither alternative seems attractive at all! With the adjustable it would be as easy as with a regular jacket-style BCD, I guess. If most of my dives where from the shore, I'd probably get the hog harness, but in fact most of them are from a boat on a rough sea :(

I've read many divers here end up using the hog harness after they've used the comfort models for a time. This maybe my case... in the future!

Frogman159: thanks a lot for explaining your donning technique in detail. This is the kind of info I need!

coldsmoke: the way I decide how much weight I need is I empty my BC on the surface and use just enough weight to be able to sink heads up. If I did it your way, I'd have to fin my way down, which I should avoid in order not to damage my ears any more.

Finally, I'm going to get one thigh pocket, either Oxy or DR. Do you recommend one over another?

I have a setup similar to yours and would recommend you go with a hog harness. You dont need all the padding, etc of the deluxe models.

Also, dont worry about an STA. Latest Mach V wings (like mine) have roll control. The tank will be rock-solid without an STA.

Oh, and as for the STA, my buddy has ordered 10 sets of al BP+STA, each is only 45 € so if I finally prefer not to use the STA, it's no big deal! I do think that I will prefer using it, it just seems to me it'll attach more securely.

I'm ordering the gear from addhelium.com. If you know other online retailers that sell what I need (and ship international), please let me know.

leisurepro.com

scubatoys.com

Have bought from both and have received excellent prices, service and shipping from both.

coldsmoke: the way I decide how much weight I need is I empty my BC on the surface and use just enough weight to be able to sink heads up. If I did it your way, I'd have to fin my way down, which I should avoid in order not to damage my ears any more.

I think there's some confusion here. Your goal is to be neutral with an empty tank. If that is the case then when you have a full tank you'll be negative. How negative depends on the tank and the gas used and it's your wings job to offset this. If you are doing what I think you are describing with a full tank, then you will likely be too light at the end of your dive.

It takes a little getting used to but getting your weighting dialed is one of the best things you can do for your diving. So take some time to make sure you are diving with the least amount of weight required. More weight requires more air in your bc to offset. More air in your bc means greater drag and greater buoyancy changes when you ascend.

I can almost guarantee that you can drop around 10#.

Hunter

I picture myself trying to get rid of the thing in the water OR climbing up the ladder with the whole rig on. Neither alternative seems attractive at all! With the adjustable it would be as easy as with a regular jacket-style BCD, I guess.

Much ado about nothing. But since you seem convinced you need to spend the extra money, have at it. You have't even tried the Hog harness and you're convinced you couldn't get out of it. And yet others who've been exactly where you have, have ditched the fancy harness and gone to the Hog harness and haven't looked back.

OK.

Finally, I'm going to get one thigh pocket, either Oxy or DR. Do you recommend one over another?

If you mean one that doesn't glue on, they are all terrible. Get the cheapest one. If you intend to glue one on, then get one with bungies inside so you can clip things off. And no, D-Rings inside are NOT the best solution.

I think there's some confusion here. Your goal is to be neutral with an empty tank. If that is the case then when you have a full tank you'll be negative. How negative depends on the tank and the gas used and it's your wings job to offset this. If you are doing what I think you are describing with a full tank, then you will likely be too light at the end of your dive.

It takes a little getting used to but getting your weighting dialed is one of the best things you can do for your diving. So take some time to make sure you are diving with the least amount of weight required. More weight requires more air in your bc to offset. More air in your bc means greater drag and greater buoyancy changes when you ascend.

I can almost guarantee that you can drop around 10#.

Hunter

Isn't this a contradiction? One the one hand you say that the way I choose my weight, I will end my dive too light, and this is probably true, but it's enough for me to hover ten feet deep. On the other hand you say I could drop around 10#... wouldn't I end up just too light???

I've never used aluminum tanks, but with steel I can hardly tell the difference in buoyancy -or weight- between a full tank and an empty one.

Much ado about nothing. But since you seem convinced you need to spend the extra money, have at it. You have't even tried the Hog harness and you're convinced you couldn't get out of it. And yet others who've been exactly where you have, have ditched the fancy harness and gone to the Hog harness and haven't looked back.

But I still see a lot of people who modify their Hog harness to attach a quick release buckle on a shoulder... they wouldn't if they were so happy.

If you mean one that doesn't glue on, they are all terrible. Get the cheapest one. If you intend to glue one on, then get one with bungies inside so you can clip things off. And no, D-Rings inside are NOT the best solution.

Do you mean actually "glue" a pocket to a wet/dry suit???? Or is it just a manner of speaking? The ones I'm considering have an elastic wrap around the thigh and attach to the harness webbing, which seems fair enough.

Thanks for your input!

leisurepro.com

scubatoys.com

Have bought from both and have received excellent prices, service and shipping from both.

Yes, they both seem good online stores. Trouble is leisurepro doesn't sell Oxycheq, and Scubatoys doesn't sell the Oxycheq adjustable harness... they do sell the Hog harness though :eyebrow:

Isn't this a contradiction? One the one hand you say that the way I choose my weight, I will end my dive too light, and this is probably true, but it's enough for me to hover ten feet deep. On the other hand you say I could drop around 10#... wouldn't I end up just too light???

I've never used aluminum tanks, but with steel I can hardly tell the difference in buoyancy -or weight- between a full tank and an empty one.

If you weight yourself to "just" sink when you have a full tank then as you empty that tank it becomes lighter. I am not sure what tanks you are diving but you are likely seeing at least 5#+ swing in buoyancy. If you were "perfectly" weighted with a full tank then you will be 5# too light with at the end of the dive.

The proper and only way to get your weight exactly right is to:
1. Put your full set-up on.
2. Get your tank to 500 psi or a little less.
3. Get to about 10 feet.
4. Start dropping weight until you can no longer stay there without movement.

I am not saying that you don't need 25# but I will say that it is a lot of weight and I would be very suprised if you couldn't drop at least several pounds.

I am not sure how many dives you have and I certainly mean no disrespect, but being overweighted is a very common problem with newer divers. Instructors seem to like to get their students overly negative.

And yes glue pockets directly on to your suit. They stick a bit easier on drysuits, but I have put them on neoprene before. However a better option for neoprene might be x-shorts.

Good luck.

Hunter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom