Help me analyze a bad dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bossman

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm interested in any opinions on a bad dive yesterday. It really ended up being a cluster, not from any major problem but from a series of little things that led to me calling the dive.

I've been looking for a drysuit for a while now but I'm not confident on sizing, so what better way to try a few out than attending the Whites Demo Tour at our local quarry. This past week I've had a bit of a head cold so I contemplated not diving, in the end I decided I'd make the attempt but call the dive if I had trouble clearing.

I was fit for a suit (L/XL) and from the outset it was too tight in the shoulders, much too tight. The reps assured me it was the right size, but having the limited flexibility in the shoulders made getting geared up a real struggle. I get in the water and three other divers can't get down, not enough weight. I come back up and wait patiently for them to get more weight. There is one instructor and four divers including myself. We finally all descend and a few things are happening:

1. My mask is fogging because of the cold water (47 degrees)
2. I did not wear my depth gauge, and my computer does not appear accurate
in shallow depths, so I'm not trusting my depth
3. My fins are much too tight in the rock boots vs. the normal soft shoes I
normally wear. Really tight bordering on painful and cramping.
4. I'm slightly overweighted and need to use my wing as an "elevator"
5. My ears clear fine until 25 feet, at which point they're blocked solid.

With all of the above factors, I decided against rising a few feet and trying to clear. My heart rate was up, I felt task overloaded, and was getting worked up almost on the border of a panic. I swam to the nearest diver, tapped them, signaled problem with my ears, thumbed, and we swapped OK signs. The instructor was too far ahead leading the team for me to be able to get his attention, and the diver I informed would later signal to him that I'm fine but had ear trouble and thumbed the dive.

During my ascent, I was using the wing as an elevator, trying to vent the drysuit, looking through a fogged mask, and had trouble "swimming" up. The last 10 feet went quicker than my normal 30 ft/min rate. I popped up a little at the top.

A few things I took away from this:

1. I didn't use my normal dive configuration (lack of the depth guage I usually
dive with). I trust it much more in shallow depths, that would have helped.
2. I did defog my mask, but should have given it a good scrub and then let the
defog dry on it before rinsing due to the cold water.
3. The fins were much too tight, I could have asked someone to borrow a pair
4. The suit was too tight in the shoulders. The feeling of restriction makes
every task 10 times as hard and tiring. Never dive with an uncomfortable
piece of equipment, even if that means waiting until another day to dive.
5. The Demo instructor failed to assign buddy pairs, so we were diving in a
group. Although we we're just off the dock and there were people on shore
watching us, this was a significant oversight on the instructor's and divers'
part. None of the other divers thought much about it. Major mistake for all
for all of us.

All of these, except the lack of buddy pairs, were little things that were adding up to a continual decline in comfort and increasing problems. I was never in any real danger but the feeling of panic starting to set in was horrible.

All of the above are my responsibility. But I do think that the Demo events need a better process requiring a buoyancy check and the assignment of buddy pairs.

Would would you have done differently or advice would you give?

Thanks for the report.

Absolutely best to thumb a dive when a series of little things feel like they could snowball. And even if they don't, your mental focus is scattered because of it.

Sounds alot like some of my first dry suit dives...just ask Clammy, Teamcasa, ScubaSam, crd_kats, and HisLovely Bride. I had some similar experiences while diving my new fusion with them a couple of years ago. Patience, we've all got to start (or re-start) somewhere. There is a significant amount of task loading going on when you start to change up your usual configurations. Like learning to drive a car, at the beginning we were very focused on the wheel, the road, other cars. But after a short amount of time, we can multi-task (eat, brush hair, talk on the phone, listen to music, etc.) all while driving down the interstate at 70+mph.

It all gets better, especially once you find a suit that is comfortable for you (amen for demo days) and tweak out the other issues like fins. I finally think I got the undies combination and the weighting down and fixed my trim and buoyancy control but I'm still futzing around with fin issues...and then there's the p-valve.:shocked2:

I've had my own recent experience with a poor fitting drysuit, so I fill your pain on that. My situation was a bit different, where I rented one large enough to fit my shoulders, but the attached boots were two size too big, causing them to barely fit in the foot pocket of my fins and to keep getting "floaty feet." It took a bit of trying to get my buoyancy dialed in, so I know how difficult it can be, especially if you're not already experienced with drysuits.

My first observations on your ordeal.

1.Regarding your mask. The water we were in wasn't quite as cold, but when I have mask fogging issues, I let a little water in and swish it around to remove the fog, then clear it. If the fogging is really bad, or repetitive I'll just leave a little water in the mask and swish as necessary.

4. Not entirely sure your definition of "elevator" but I use my wing for buoyancy, not my drysuit. I know that some agencies teach opposite, but I prefer wings for lift. When I need to ascend, I'll take a slightly head up attitude as I start up, make sure my drysuit vent is all the way open and I'll dump the wing. The air in my drysuit is usually sufficient to keep me on a slow ascent and I can control the speed it vents based on how much off axis I am. It takes a bit of practice, so if this is your first time trying a drysuit, dont get discouraged.

Takeaways:

4. The fit of your gear, especially a drysuit can be very important. Depending on your build, you may need a custom suit for it to feel "just right." Too tight can be restrictive, but too loose can be just as bad with controlling the bubble. With a bunch of extra space in a suit, any air wants to roam and that can get pretty miserable as well.

Finally, if it doesn't feel right, thumbing it was absolutely the right thing to do. Work out the little issues and try again. There's no reason to compound things and get yourself in trouble.

New gear configurations are always a major PITA. I have given up even trying a "real" dive with major new equipment configurations before fooling around in 10-15' in calm water — in a pool, or preferably in a marina. I do these dives solo with someone on deck than can hand me weights, check me over, and even help me dress/undress.

Last edited:
There is nothing worse than an ill fitting dry-suit. Always remember, the further you slide into the incident pit, the harder it is to get back out :(
Incident%2BPit.jpg

Task Loading comes to mind... Poor decision making, diving with a head cold (just because the majority of the symptoms are gone doesn't mean the cold itself is...). Listening to A drysuit REP... Your body told you one thing-- Doesn't fit good, Rep said otherwise. Who do you think would know better? Inexperienced instructor or he just wasn't paying attention to the issues... Fins to tight, overweighted and popping up on your last 10', you might need a little more training wearing a drysuit or just a refresher on the basics. Example: If your not comfortable, having fun or getting paid why do it in the first place? The instructor never should have been to far away to get his attention, he just wasn't doing his job right. Reflect back to my first point about him, inexperienced not paying attention...

To sum it up. You are initially to blame for the bad dive, followed by the instructor and the rep. In that order.

I would have not gotten the water in this case, with a head cold unless I was getting paid.

The Instructor should have been involved with the drysuit fitting if he was taking you out to try something new... Or explained to you how it should fit and help you decide how much weight to use. Let alone the fact he should have asked a few simple questions. How is everyone feeling today. Are you comfortable? Are you warm enough? Does it feel like your gear fits right? Or just been in better control of the situation all together it sounds like.

The REP, well lets just say he did not have your best interests in mind.

So don't beat yourself up people make mistakes, and you weren't completely to blame.

Great graphic cloudflint! I'm going to save that for later use.

Thanks for the graphic Cloudflint. I too was thinking incident pit while reading about the dive :)

Bossman; you've had the dubious pleasure of spiraling a bit in the incident pit (I always think of the "pit" as a spinning vortex gradually sucking you down). You made several seemingly insignificant decisions that then compounded to the point where you wisely thumbed the dive.

Great learning experience and you got to walk away no worse for the wear :D Good for you to rethink and analyze what happened.

Curious: what skin did your Fusion suit have? The Bullet skin is significantly tighter/less stretchy than the lycra/neoprene skins, so while the waterproof core might have been the right size, the skin may not. Just a thought. Also, it takes a bit getting used to the compression of the Fusion, and if you don't over-inflate and stretch out in the suit before the dive starts, it may limit your mobility.

And buddy pairs would have been a good idea. You could have suggested it yourself before the dive ... just playing Devil's advocate here :wink:

Henrik

These are the lessons we never forget. It is learning the hard way but as long as you don't get hurt it works better than any other learning experience.

Your account made me think about my first dive today. I was on an unknown site, with current and limited viz (10') which meant dark, too. I was in my doubles, which I haven't dived in several months, with a deco bottle and a scooter, neither of which I have recently used at all. I felt like a hippopotamus, and I was not comfortable at all. When the final straw came, and we realized we were not going to find the structure we were supposed to dive, I basically turned the dive. Too many unhappinesses at once.

Sometimes, you have to stretch your capacities in order to enlarge them, and sometimes you put up with something uncomfortable or suboptimal to be able to make the dive (diving in my crocs because I forget my rockboots comes to mind). But it's really important to add up all the strikes and decide when you ought to be out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom