Help My Padi Book doesn't have the Quiz sheets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"the point I really wanted to make, is that if the poor guy can't afford the $29 book, can he really afford to dive at all ??? God knows, if he can't afford $29 then he certainly can't BUY equipment, and that's also about the cost of rental equipment for one day..."

Thanks Islandhopper, you seem like a real great guy.

As for the rest of you and especially those who helped me out (I won't say who in case the PADI copywrite infringement police come looking) thank you very much. PADI and the dive industry world wide will be paid back 1000 fold from me taking this class, I assure you they haven't lost money on me.

One scenario I'd like you to consider before I leave is this. Two people, say a husband and a wife, or two roomates, take the PADI course. Do they buy two books or just one? Is it copywrite infringement if one copies the knowlege review to do thier homework? I'm quite confident that the copywrite clause is to prevent some instructor from making mass copies of the text and selling it to his or her students. Or say for example, to prevent or at least try and prevent the sort of ramant copywrite infringement that plauges Asia. Just a thought.

Hey Andy
Are you still needing the quizzes? My dive club has online copies of the whole set on their website. They are in the members area but if you want to drop me a private message I'll be happy to email the address and password to you - I'm sure they won't object - I know they give the password out to non-members when appropriate. But obviously I can't give this info here - for your eyes only!
RichardAD

P ut
A nother
D ollar
I n

and buy the book!

Sorry I just couldn't resist but for the record, I don't have anything against PADI.

Invariably someone asks in my course "Do I have to buy the Book?".

Invariably, I will say "Yes". This Book has important dive information in it.

Imagine if someone ended up in the Diving Incidents Column and it came out that the Instructor had replied "Not Really", or "Just Read your Buddy's Book" or Don't Worry, I'll be Covering it in Class". Not me.

As to copyright law, I didn't buy that whole argument about how it is for educational purposes so it is legal. It is just hard to sue thousands and thousands of teachers.

For the person who said the rules keep people from making mass copies of PADI material and using/selling it, go to some of the farther corners of the world and you might be surprised.

In any event, the persons offering to copy and send portions of the book were not in a teacher/student relationship with the recipient.

OK, any lawyers out there? I just got ticked at PADI because I have to buy the new exams rather than get a free copy....
But if I only have to buy one and make copies then I am OK?

The OW manual does not crumble too dust after you have passed your OW course. It’s intended to be used as a reference guide, and as a refresher tool if you are away from diving for a while.

A question was put here about a husband/wife scenario, and if both would have to pay for the crew pack which includes the highly priced manual. The answer is yes they both get one. They also both get their own dive computers, tanks, regs, and so on.

Kimleece, I find it interesting that you did not fill out the knowledge reviews and hand them in for correction and review. The simple fact is that they serve two purposes. First to ensure that you understand what you are required to understand. Secondly, and some will argue that this should be first, it is kept on file with the instructor or dive shop, and can serve as proof of meeting standards in the event of any legal action taken against the instructor or dive shop. Go figure, PADI is actually trying to help protect instructors and dive operators who may find themselves in a position where they need to provide proof of training divers to required standards. (This following is not directed to you Kimleece, but at all students in general.) With that in mind, I would have to call into question the competency of the training received by any instructor or dive operation that does not provide a student with ALL the required materials, especially the training manual. What other corners are being cut? I see a few board members who seem to be posting arguments and taking the position that “standards” are poor. I would argue that the standards are good, they are not perfect and are under constant review and updating, however some instructors and dive operations are poorly meeting them.

Don’t get cheated out of the education you are supposed to get. Insist on having ALL materials and tools that the certifying agency requires you to have. This goes for all students regardless of what training agency puts their stamp of approval on your OW card.

I'm going to agree with pt40 and crispos on this. Maybe I don't think the standards are all that great. LOL but every student get's their own book and dive table at least. That's a new book with all the knowledge reviews in it.

They can highlite sections and make notes in it because I'm going to expand on most of the subjects covered and they can use it for later reference. This is especially important for the infrequent diver who BTW is usually the least willing to spend a buck anyway.

It's your education. I can put everything in front of you and tell you what I think the best way to take advantage of the training is but in the end it's up to you. You know what they say? "You can lead a horse to water but you can't suck it up through his fanny for him". Well, the same goes for students.

If the student thinks I should stand around and violate copyright law by making copies I promiss it'll cost more than a book to get me to stand in front of the copy machine anyway.

Back
Top Bottom