help want to do the right thing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sc2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I recently came home from a dive trip to Bonaire. On one of the dives I found a dive computer in the sand at about 30feet of water. It appears to work and also has a serial number that is visible. my question is how do I go about tracking down the owner? I feel as though I have a moral obligation to at least try to find the rightful owner. any help?
thanks.

Would start here in the lost and found forum with a site location and date that you found it, followed by cross posting to miscellaneous FB groups. If someone claims it, ask them to identify make+model, serial number, and or specific dive history or number of dives on the computer. Proof of purchase would be ideal but I’d guess 25% chance or less that someone keeps those records. Best of luck.

Would start here in the lost and found forum with a site location and date that you found it, followed by cross posting to miscellaneous FB groups. If someone claims it, ask them to identify make+model, serial number, and or specific dive history or number of dives on the computer. Proof of purchase would be ideal but I’d guess 25% chance or less that someone keeps those records. Best of luck.
thanks for the information and tips! I am going to do that.

@grantctobin beat me to most of it. If there is a dive shop close to the site where you found it, contact them to see if anyone has inquired about it.
Otherwise, good luck.

@grantctobin beat me to most of it. If there is a dive shop close to the site where you found it, contact them to see if anyone has inquired about it.
Otherwise, good luck.
yeah, I did contact the dive shop no reports by the loser. Actually, Im pretty surprised.

I had a similar situation, but reversed, in 2018. We were at Capt. Don and someone posted on SB that they had lost their computer that day. Someone in our group piped up that they had found a computer that day at the same site. I responded to the thread, verified it was their computer and they came and got it. Turns out they were right next door at Buddy Dive.
That reminds me, you may want to also post this in the Bonaire forum.
I applaud you for doing the right thing. If you don’t find them, well, you know you tried.

Erik

Did you check if a the owners name show on the display somewhere. Also, there are several Bonaire Dive buddy groups on facebook and also whatsapp if you up for all the replies you might get.

Email the dive computer's company with the computer's serial #. Maybe they have a history of witch dive shop it was sold to. It's a long shot..

update, I have listed the dive computer on the bonaire FB lost and found page. wow! lots of stuff lost on there. thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Did you check if a the owners name show on the display somewhere. Also, there are several Bonaire Dive buddy groups on facebook and also whatsapp if you up for all the replies you might get.
cant find anything like that. thanks

Back
Top Bottom