Question Help with deciding a land based dive resort in Raja Ampat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If air conditioning, electricity and plumbing are important to you, this will eliminate a lot of places in RA. I need all three, so my choices are nicely narrowed. I forgot to mention that Sorido Bay's sister resort nearby is Kri Eco Resort. The pricing is substantially lower but no A/C and more primitive conditions.
Thanks again!
I'm totally fine with primitive, the wifey not so much. I think somewhere in the middle would work for us. Fresh water to shower occasionally, bottled water to drink, and a reasonably cool room to sleep, (fan w/mosquito net), good food and a good dive op is all we need.

We liked the less expensive Kri Eco Resort. Very good diving with excellent guides, descent food and cabins.

We liked the less expensive Kri Eco Resort. Very good diving with excellent guides, descent food and cabins.
Thank you, I will check them out.

Found it! Great report! Sounds like you had a good time there. Would you go back?
In a heart beat! Just a matter of decision when.

This thread is great and I appreciate all the great experience and info. I hope to put together a 2-3 week trip to RA and Komodo in the next 2-3 years. The OP is going in February. Do people have a preferred time of year to travel to Indonesia?

Also, in the Caribbean, AC is rather important year round. Is that also the case in Indonesia? I have never been to Indonesia, but I have been to further north in Asia twice and only in the summer and fall. It gets hot up there. I would like to know how important choosing a resort with AC is. Thx

In a heart beat! Just a matter of decision when.
Thank you to all who responded! After comparing all of the info on 6 of the top dive resorts I am pretty sure that we are going with Cove Eco Resort. Just waiting for after the holidays to finalize everything.

Also, in the Caribbean, AC is rather important year round. Is that also the case in Indonesia? I have never been to Indonesia, but I have been to further north in Asia twice and only in the summer and fall. It gets hot up there. I would like to know how important choosing a resort with AC is. Thx
I was at Papua Explorers Eco-Resort in October. Air temps were warm, but bungalows are right on the water, so there is usually a nice breeze and not too humid. No AC, but the bungalows had a quiet, portable fan. I propped it up on a laundry basket, so it blew over me at night when I slept. I usually use AC when it is available, but was fine with this setup. (It would have been uncomfortable for sleeping without the fan though.) I reckon lack of AC keeps the luxury resort crowd away too. (I also never had an insect of any kind inside the bungalow.)

However, I was having a minor issue with condensation inside my (plastic) camera housing. Being able to load the camera in an air conditioned room might have helped with that. But I'd rather not contribute to global warming by using AC just for such a minor issue.

This thread is great and I appreciate all the great experience and info. I hope to put together a 2-3 week trip to RA and Komodo in the next 2-3 years. The OP is going in February. Do people have a preferred time of year to travel to Indonesia?

It’s always a good time to go diving in Indonesia because there’s something that’s always in season since it’s a big country. If you are doing Raja Ampat and Komodo on the same trip, you can do it back to back in April and May or October. (I’ve done it during both time periods more than once each.)

In April/May do Raja Ampat first then go to Komodo. It works out well since most liveaboards transition out of RA during this time period and it’s quiet. May is just the start of liveaboard season for Komodo and it’s also a bit quieter. It’s the best for both worlds. :) You can do both either land based or liveaboards.

Same goes for Sept or Oct but do it in the reverse. Do Komodo first then RA. The boats are transitioning out of Komodo that time of year and are even preparing to go to Banda before going to RA.

If you need A/C in the Caribbean, you'll need it in Indonesia. Raja Ampat sits almost at zero degrees on the equator, so the sun is blistering hot. A nicely enclosed room with A/C will help keep the mosquitoes out, too, which carry malaria is some parts of Indonesia.

All finalized! Cove Eco Resort, standard air conditioned cottage w/3 dives a day for 2 weeks in February 2025.
One last question, does anybody take malaria medicine prior to or during their stay in Raja Ampat? I am a mosquito magnet.
Again, thank you all for the great input and suggestions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom