Help with Wedding Honeymoon Scuba destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leannejh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks,

We would like to have a simple marriage ceremony and Honeymoon at a scuba diving destination. We are looking at getting Married in the fall-either September or October or in the spring-March or April.

So far, we are considering Matangi Island in Fiji Matangi Private Island Resort and Wakatobi Indonesia Wakatobi Dive Resort - Southeast Sulawesi Indonesia - Home Page . Personally we may be more geared for a Pacific Island vacation rather than Bali Indonesia, but could do either if we could accomplish a simple beach wedding and great diving.

Thanks for the help, Leanne

Has anyone been to either of these dive resorts and have an opinion on having a desitnation wedding/honeymoon/diving trip there? Any other places you could suggest would be appreciated.

Hi folks,

We would like to have a simple marriage ceremony and Honeymoon at a scuba diving destination. We are looking at getting Married in the fall-either September or October or in the spring-March or April.

So far, we are considering Matangi Island in Fiji Matangi Private Island Resort and Wakatobi Indonesia Wakatobi Dive Resort - Southeast Sulawesi Indonesia - Home Page . Personally we may be more geared for a Pacific Island vacation rather than Bali Indonesia, but could do either if we could accomplish a simple beach wedding and great diving.

Thanks for the help, Leanne

Has anyone been to either of these dive resorts and have an opinion on having a desitnation wedding/honeymoon/diving trip there? Any other places you could suggest would be appreciated.

For other recommendations, I want to know:

1. congrats, sounds awesome! :D Beach weddings are very nice and exotic! Be aware though that some countries it won't be legal back here in US so you have to do 2 ceremonies from what I understand. Do your research.

2. Since you are asking about Pacific destinations - where have you been so far? How many dives do you have? How experienced? (your profile is blank, you might want to fill that in)

3. Do you have a preference in what you want to see? (The 2 destinations you mention have very different types of diving.) I have heard great things about both, but they are different. Do you like drift diving? Macro diving?

4. How many dives per day are you looking for? Lots of diving - or - just 2 boat dives in am then afternoon activities?

5. What specifically attracts you to the 2 destinations you mentioned? Is it the little bure/hut kind of accomodations or luxury details or secluded romance of resort?

robin:D

As to what Robin said above. More info would be helpful.

The two resorts you have chosen are fairly different. Wakatobi is a dive resort, the Matangi is resort with a good diving program.

leannejh,

You might want to check out Wananavu Beach Resort in Fiji. We were just there in FEB for our 25th wedding anniversary and did a vow renewal ceremony while there. They did a great job. Here is the link to my trip report which also has a link to the resort homepage that also has wedding info/options.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pacific-islands/274991-fiji-trip-report.html

And the good news is that Wananavu Beach Resort now has their own dive op and Kai Viti Divers is no longer on their property and appears to be out of business.

Have not been to Matangi for a while, but it's a nice intimate setting. Try for the tree house. There's a lagoon on the other side of the [small] island where they can drop you off for a day of snorkeling, and you will be the only people there. Will also set up dining table by beach for nice intimate dinners. The local people working there are wonderful, and people there will remember you. I have many good memories. Fijians are very social. Their house reef is rather shallow and not so interesting. Boat diving is good, but they run on Fiji time, so things don't always happen on schedule. Have seen a few weddings done there in traditional Fijian garb.

Wakatobi much bigger place and more guests, meals usually done group style, less intimate, if that's important to you. Good service, good staff, but honestly I really don't remember much about the people there. Has very good house reef, and diving is better, though you are less likely to see big things here. Everything pretty much runs like clockwork.

If you're in love, go to Matangi. If you're getting married and want to do good diving, go to Wakatobi.

Have read some nice reviews on trip advisor for people getting married on Matangi Island.

Can't speak to that but the island is a wonderful peaceful place and the staff will go the extra distance to make sure you have a great experience.

The diving is really good and easy...not much current.

My wife and I spent a week there and stayed in a treehouse the end of January.

Our trip report -> www.scubaboard.com/forums/pacific-islands/272630-fiji-trip-report-matangi-island.html

Robin,

Thanks for the response! I have updated my profile regarding my dive history. Been to a lot of top dive destinations.

We like all different types of diving, although I am not a huge fan of drift diving, but can do it. We plan to do 2-3 dives a day on the honeymoon (my fiance may do a couple night dives).

What attracted us to the two destinations is that they are relatively small, in exotic locations, romantic and we like the bure/hut type of accomodations and secluded atmosphere we experienced at Anthony's Key Resort on the Key.

Luxury details would be great but are not required. We would like a little pampering....

Any comments on the weather and the air conditioning situations are welcomed also. We see there is none on Matangi. My fiance is concerned a little about heat.

Thanks again, Leanne

Last edited:
Hypersonic,

What a great trip report!! This up's the anti for sure!

What did you think about the fact that there was no A/C? (The fiance gets a little over-heated at times... :eek:)

Thanks, Leanne

Kolili,

Thanks for your thoughts. I love what you said in the last sentence of your post. I have to say we are IN LOVE, and love diving! That up's the anti again...2:1, Matangi:Wakatobi

Leanne

Ni Sa Bula leannejh,

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! A South Pacific wedding & honeymoon along with diving, wow that will make folks envious!…I am based on Matangi Island & suggest you use Linda Gutekunst at South Seas Adventures. She visits Matangi annually & is an avid scuba diver & photographer. She also renewed her vows here at Matangi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom