"Helpful" male dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the best way to convince someone that you are as competent and capable as he is, is to demonstrate it.

I think Lynne nailed it; competency shows. I too come from an older generation and have seen female emergence into the Commercial Diving industry. I have a reputation for expecting a lot from the Divers who've worked for me, but in turn I'll do anything to make their job easier. I've hired two FM Commercial Divers and never regretted doing so. In-fact they are among the best Divers I've worked with.

From my experience, women Divers have a higher degree of precision than their male counterparts and pay excellent attention to detail. Their strength is generally less, but make-up for this with heart and determination. Perhaps it's because they've played the part of the underdog, but whatever it is, I've found it in the women that I've hired.

Certainly most women shy away from physically hard work, that subjects them to cold, danger and isolation. For those determined few, they are excellent. Once integrated into "the World of Men," they can thrive by throwing back as much as they take. It takes a special type of women to do this. Men are competitive and anyone (man or woman) has to bring their "A Game" if they choose to step-up to the plate.

Male Divers are first and foremost Men. Once you get past the Ego and their naturally protective nature, diving with them is easy...
icosm14.gif

Last edited:
If I see another diver (male or female) with a gear issue I simply ask them to do a buddy check on MY gear. Then I know their boundaries, and reciprocate in kind.

The ladies who are the most adamant in this thread about men respecting their sensitivities: that knife cuts in both directions. If someone is genuinely attempting to be helpful, don't get your knickers in a twist and act like the jerk you're complaining about.

Perhaps histrix is devastatingly beautiful and the men just haven't been able to get past that distraction as yet.

I'm a guy. I dive with my wife routinely.

you haven't done 50 dives, however they are routine....... yes you are a guy/dude, that is pretty obvious...this is what she is talking about....dude!

---------- Post added June 21st, 2013 at 04:56 PM ----------

I think Lynne nailed it; competency shows. I too come from an older generation and have seen female emergence into the Commercial Diving industry. I have a reputation for expecting a lot from the Divers who've worked for me, but in turn I'll do anything to make their job easier. I've hired two FM Commercial Divers and never regretted doing so. In-fact they are among the best Divers I've worked with.

From my experience, women Divers have a higher degree of precision than their male counterparts and pay excellent attention to detail. Their strength is generally less, but make-up for this with heart and determination. Perhaps it's because they've played the part of the underdog, but whatever it is, I've found it in the women that I've hired.

Certainly most women shy away from physically hard work, that subjects them to cold, danger and isolation. For those determined few, they are excellent. Once integrated into "the World of Men," they can thrive by throwing back as much as they take. It takes a special type of women to do this. Men are competitive and anyone (man or woman) has to bring their "A Game" if they choose to step-up to the plate.

Male Divers are first and foremost Men. Once you get past the Ego and their naturally protective nature, diving with them is easy...
icosm14.gif

Women use intellect and don't run off ego, they have a more impartial approach and don't lose their heads if things don't go their way- machines will do the muscle work soon enough, awareness is key to safe and successful operations- men have alot to learn from their mothers in coming generations....those that don't will be worse off in a competitive way.
Men are way overrated..........ego rules them mostly.

Last edited:

Women use intellect and don't run off ego, they have a more impartial approach and don't lose their heads if things don't go their way...

I question that. The impact of 'ego, macho,' etc..., in diving has come up in varied threads, and it's true many regard males as naturally more willing to take risks and females as more risk conservative/security-minded, and I've seen efforts to link that to tribal societies where men went out hunting in the uncertain jungle, ect..., and women handled more tasks back at the village.

Believe that or not as you will.

But reading books and articles on relationships, men are often portrayed as crude, relatively straight forward, linear thinkers emphasizing logic - give them a problem, they want to give you a solution. Not 'feel your pain,' empathize with you in your misery, etc... Whereas women are portrayed as valuing 'less logical' issues such as emotional supportiveness.

I especially enjoyed the book 'Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus,' not only for insightful content but also the way the author respectfully described both male and female outlooks as making sense in their own contexts. He didn't diss either one.

Richard.

I question that. The impact of 'ego, macho,' etc..., in diving has come up in varied threads, and it's true many regard males as naturally more willing to take risks and females as more risk conservative/security-minded, and I've seen efforts to link that to tribal societies where men went out hunting in the uncertain jungle, ect..., and women handled more tasks back at the village.

But reading books and articles on relationships, men are often portrayed as crude, relatively straight forward, linear thinkers emphasizing logic - give them a problem, they want to give you a solution. Not 'feel your pain,' empathize with you in your misery, etc... Whereas women are portrayed as valuing 'less logical' issues such as emotional supportiveness.

I especially enjoyed the book 'Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus,' not only for insightful content but also the way the author respectfully described both male and female outlooks as making sense in their own contexts. He didn't diss either one.

Richard.

Another excellent men vs. women "tool" is the play "Defending the Caveman". I find it extremely interesting how those who rail against negative stereotypes are often the first to apply them. Haters gonna' hate.

Richard.

Your theory completely reminded me of this video. So true!
It's Not About The Nail - YouTube

Last edited:
Women use intellect and don't run off ego, they have a more impartial approach and don't lose their heads if things don't go their way

Anyone who actually believes this should contact me about a prime piece of real estate, spanning the East River between downtown Manhattan and Brooklyn, that I have for sale.

Women use intellect and don't run off ego, they have a more impartial approach and don't lose their heads if things don't go their way- machines will do the muscle work soon enough, awareness is key to safe and successful operations- men have alot to learn from their mothers in coming generations....those that don't will be worse off in a competitive way.

This is just another stereotype. I saw enough female and male watchmakers to be convinced that precision and discipline doesn't depend on gender. Of course, I saw enough "testosterone-bags" who think they've right to #&.. any women in their way. (Later these become the bosses/instructors/husbands etc. who do not value anything that a female does) Yes, the jerks are out there, but don't deem 3bln people because of 5% jerks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom