Henderson Neosport 7mm... Did I make a Mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been too hot out here the past two weeks to dive... now that the clouds and rain have returned, I'm going out for another dive on the Neosport.

too funny...

I have a 7mm farmer john neosport.I have about 40 dives on it and am happy with it.I have worn suits that cost a lot more money.They were not worth dropping another 200.00$.I think you made the right choice

I have the Henderson Hyperstretch and it's super easy to don and doff as well as super comfortable and mobile. I have not used other 3mm suits yet but I am actively looking for a more traditional 3mm suit that will keep me warmer. I am thinking that the stretchy qualities that make the Henderson so DARN COMFORTABLE are costing me, personally, too much in the way of warmth. I plan to hang onto it for comparison but I'm really thinking hard about a Waterproof brand Capri suit. It's a lot harder to don but I am hopeful that the lack of stretch will prevent some of the SERIOUS leakage issues I have with the Henderson.

Well, I've now had the Neosport for about 10 months, but only put about 5ves on it. It started falling apart within 20 dives. Absolutely the worst wetsuit I've ever owned (and I've been diving for 48 years now). Initially it developed tears around both kneepads despite my care in putting it on. After about 20 dives it began showing tears on the INSIDE liner. I rarely pee in my wetsuits, so uric acid is not to blame.

Unless I have a lemon, I will NEVER buy another wetsuit in Henderson's Neosport line. This is even worse than my Seaquest X-Flex that started falling apart after 50 dives. On the other hand, my Tilos wetsuits have given me as many as 650 dives (despite the fact the legs eventually fell off).

Fortunately it has been warm enough the past three months to wear my 7year old Tilos 3/2mm (which shows NO tears at all), most recently with a 3mm hooded vest. It's warmer than the freaking Neosport!

My Henderson NeoSport is dying now also, just over 1 year and 60 dives. The neck started to go (my manly whiskers?) which was mostly cosmetic. Now the seam in the back is parting, it is a 1 inch hole right at my kidneys and is about to split wide open. There is only so much I can do with wetsuit glue. I made a poor choice.....

I have 3 NeoSports.
I figure that at the price I can get 4 NeoSports for one Henderson.
Do the math.

the K

I have 3 NeoSports.
I figure that at the price I can get 4 NeoSports for one Henderson.
Do the math.

the K

NeoSport is made by Henderson, just their cheaper line??

How many dives do yours have and how are they holding up?

For me, I really don't want to screw with gear that self destructs in a year. Its not life support by any stretch, but it is a royal pain in the butt. If it happened on a dive trip, I could loose more than I saved.

As for math, its replacement (an Aqualung SolaFx) is about 2x the cost (325 vs 150). Henderson's main line is very pricey. Honestly, I don't know how long it will last, but hopefully a couple of years.

Wow, I expect any suit to get more than 100 dives!

I think this is a problem running through all the manufacturers though... suits just don't last as long as they used to. I think, IMHO, it has alot to do with the new fabrics they are using, the "hyperstretch" "trilastic" "elasti-stretch", whatever each manufacturer calls them is not as durable!
I had a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch for 5 years and wore it alot, got my money's worth though it was never as warm as a regular 3mm wetsuit. It did creep on my legs, let in water more than it should, but I loved it. I ordered a replacement for it finally and the new one seemed to stretch out of shape after one dive trip! I haven't used it since. I used to be a big proponent of these stretchy suits, not so much anymore!!! :shakehead: I tried on the AquaLung stretchy suit last year and it felt odd, too stretchy in my opinion, sorta like my new Hyperstretch. I went down 2 sizes to get one that fit snug and decided I didn't like it enough to spend that kind of money!

In Nov 2008 I was heading to Cocoview resort and knew that I needed something between that 3mm and my 7mm wetsuit, so I ordered the 5mm Thermoprene by Henderson from Scubatoys. I figured if it fit it would have to do. Well, I really love it. It isn't as stretchy as the Hyperstretch but stilll stretchier than normal neoprene. It seems to be pretty durable, too. I used it for 20+ dives in Roatan, then a few months later for 14 dives in Cozumel. It still looks new. I am taking it back to Cozumel next month. :D

so Doug and Dr.Bill, maybe you should check out the Thermoprene line by Henderson. It is priced inbetween the NeoSport and their T2 top end suits. Plus it has that little bit of stretch that makes it fit better than a standard suit. I only have about 40 dives on my 5mm, but so far I am thinking it is my favorite suit I have ever owned.

Scubatoys also has the Henderson hooded vests on sale, about 1/2 price closeout. I got one for my hubby who hates hoods but he wore it last weekend and says he loves it. I am getting myself one this week. :D

robin:D

It's been too hot out here the past two weeks to dive... now that the clouds and rain have returned, I'm going out for another dive on the Neosport.

Being from Louisiana, I'm wondering, how can it be too hot to dive?

Back
Top Bottom