Hernia repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I came home from cave country with a new cert, a chipped tooth, the worst case of swimmers ear I've had in my life and a inguinal hernia.

Anyone been through a hernia repair? Which type was it and what was the recovery like?

WTF did you do while you were down there?

WTF did you do while you were down there?

Warm fresh water even with ear beer.....

I suspect the hernia has been around for a couple months but retracted and was misdiagnosed as a pulled muscle. It then came out and stayed with all the lifting for the class.

As fir the chipped tooth, I have no idea.

Were you attacked by a cave troll? Geeze. I had a small inguinal hernia last year, it eventually went away without any treatment…I’d recommend getting yours checked out though.

Warm fresh water even with ear beer.....

I suspect the hernia has been around for a couple months but retracted and was misdiagnosed as a pulled muscle. It then came out and stayed with all the lifting for the class.

As fir the chipped tooth, I have no idea.
I meant about the hernia. You’re just a disaster right now.

I meant about the hernia. You’re just a disaster right now.

Yup, getting old sucks.

Definitely reinforce the fact I don't want to be a cave diver though, rofl.

All I want to do is play with my new toy 😔.

I really think the hernia actually was caused at work and as mentioned above.

Yup, getting old sucks.

Definitely reinforce the fact I don't want to be a cave diver though, rofl.

All I want to do is play with my new toy 😔.

I really think the hernia actually was caused at work and as mentioned above.
Why don’t you want to be a cave diver? All the steps? Go to MX and you can pay a scuba sherpa to haul your gear. That’s what I do. Going back in Dec.

I had an abdominal hernia repair about 15 years ago. It was, well, surgery. If I recall, recovery involved a few weeks of slowly increasing activity. It took many weeks before I felt normal again.

I had a hernia back in 2016 that popped as was putting on my dive gear from the back of my car. I put on my BC straps and pulled forward to stand and felt something tear. Later that night I felt around and there was a little bump inside my belly button area. Not much pain or discomfort.

I saw the doctor and scheduled a surgery. I had a cold-water dive trip coming up and the Dr said to do that trip before the surgery. My surgery (my first and only ever) was very quick and only needed a few stitches. They didn't even need to use the mesh often employed to shore up the area.

Recovery was pretty easy. I took like two pain pills and rested for a day or two then went about my normal business. I dove after about a month, local cold water with ~100lbs of gear. About the only extended impact was that I could not do pull-ups at the gym anymore as that really tugs on the abdominal muscles. After a year or so that no longer caused any problems.

Back
Top Bottom