Hernia repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm constantly thirsty and tired, I usually don't nap but the last few days I'm been thinking I'm half cat

Found out today that the mesh sets off the security scanner at the airport.

I've decided it wasn't a cave troll, I'm blaming Virgil the turtle.

Found out today that the mesh sets off the security scanner at the airport.

I've decided it wasn't a cave troll, I'm blaming Virgil the turtle.
Did they have you strip? Sounds like your recovery went well.

Anyone been through a hernia repair? Which type was it and what was the recovery like?

Not only am I recovering from a full thickness tear of my supraspinatus (2nd rotator cuff in 3 yrs). About a week before the shoulder surgery Jan 27, I had double hernias show up. It sucked because I was ok till I got off my lazy butt to do anything... Then you'd feel it rolling around.

So I had the hernias and my herniated bellybutton fixed literally 30 days ago.

I can say that the hernia surgery helped me forget about the shoulder surgery recovery lmao

I'm a tough cookie... but you can count on being miserable for about 30 days. The more active you are afterwards the better but your scars will be sore. You will be bruised badly - 'down there' - cpmpletely black... Sorry for being graphic, your nuts will be sore to the touch. 30 days is the magic #... you'll be able to have s-x within 3 weeks but not comfortably.

It took 5 weeks for me to start doing anything but light stuff. The scar is still sore.

It took 5 weeks for me to start doing anything but light stuff. The scar is still sore.
Yep, that jibes with my experience recovering from a hernia repair, which I related in post #9. My scar was still sensitive and maybe slightly itchy months later, if not the whole first year. Sorry man.

slightly itchy months later, if not the whole first year

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the 3 itchy scars - man it's terrible.

I had the surgery just under two years ago. It was for an "extra large" (according to the surgeon) Inguinal hernia.
The surgery, which took about an hour and a half, was laparoscopic (3 incisions each about 1/2 inch long) and robotic- the Doctor sat at a computer console, which looked disturbingly like a playstation, and gave input to the robot controlled lights and implements used in the surgery. He said they had to use the biggest mesh that they had, in order to patch the hernia. I found out afterwards that in this type surgery they inflate you with nitrogen so they have enough clearance to work. after the surgery, most of the nitrogen is pumped out, and any residual is absorbed.
I echo the earlier posts in this thread about bruising in the lower groin area, and tender testicles. I was also shaved in areas I never expected to have shaved. Fortunately the shaving took place after I was under the anesthetic. :)

Recovery: there was some early pain, but nothing that Tylenol couldn't handle. The Doctor gave me percoset, but said to avoid taking it unless absolutely necessary, as one of the side effects was constipation, which is something you do not want after hernia surgery.

I was told to not bend, stretch, twist, reach, or drive for six weeks after the surgery. I was told to sit in chairs with arms and to use my arms to lower me down, and to stand up. (I'd suggest getting one of those “Reacher Grabber" things like people might use to get items off of a high shelf, to get things off of the floor. Actually I wound up with two of them,,, because the first thing the first one did was fall on the floor.)

I was told to walk a little bit at first, and more each day. After the six weeks were done , the the surgeon “released" me but suggested I avoid sudden bending twisting stretching. Evidently that was due to the size of the hernia and the mesh needed to repair it.

I find if I bend, reach, stretch or twist slowly, that it all works !

Hope this helps, and best wishes for a complication free surgery and recovery.

Back
Top Bottom