Hernia repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the surgery just under two years ago. It was for an "extra large" (according to the surgeon) Inguinal hernia.
The surgery, which took about an hour and a half, was laparoscopic (3 incisions each about 1/2 inch long) and robotic- the Doctor sat at a computer console, which looked disturbingly like a playstation, and gave input to the robot controlled lights and implements used in the surgery. He said they had used the biggest mesh that they had in order to patch the hernia. I found out afterwards that in this type surgery they inflate you with nitrogen so they have enough clearance to work. after the surgery, most of the nitrogen is pumped out, and any residual is absorbed.
I echo the earlier posts in this thread about bruising in the lower groin area, and tender testicles. I was also shaved in areas I never expected to shave. Fortunately the shaving took place after I was under the anesthetic. :)
Recovery: there was some early pain, but nothing that Tylenol couldn't handle. The Doctor gave me percoset, but said to avoid taking it unless absolutely necessary, as one of the side effects was constipation, which is something you do not want after hernia surgery.

I was told to not bend, stretch, twist, reach, or drive for six weeks after the surgery. I was told to walk a little bit at first, and more each day. I was told to forever avoid sudden bending twisting stretching. Evidently that was due to the size of the hernia and the mesh needed to repair it.

+1 on all of that.
Between the hernia and shoulder, i was double miserable, I took 50% of my hydrocodone supply. Percoset only makes me sick.

I forgot to mention the being inflated - it's weird, i had alot of residual.

I find the more idle i am, the worse the scars are. 33 days later, I still have pain if I stretch too much.

I tried to pre-shave, they did not have to do too much on me.

I had a lot of gas the first 4 weeks.

Mine was open so a bigger incision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom