Hero3+ footage from Raja Ampat Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No no, I believe you. So Backscatter filter for the Red Sea next Month? has any decent macro footage came out of a Gopro yet? I see advertizments now for 10x dioplar but I do not beleive that it could take good footage of Pigmies. Well I guess Ill just leave the flip on for now.
BTW- The reason I was using the mask was because it was a promotional shooting for XS Scuba. When I am just taking a GoPro I use a Carbon Fiber VuVantage pole. This is why I am interested to see how the macro turns out. I also do not like the bubbles in the first 30 seconds but for a good 45 seconds of it there is great footage.
In regards to the Gomask and Octomask for that sake it really matters which way the current is going in relationship to your mask. I was using the new 2015 side-breather stage 2 from XS so it was not the reg. If was defiantly me swimming with instead of swimming against the current. Hmmm I am given them to test out and I do that is why I come to the forums for feedback.
This person did some close-ups of Pygmies. I think he used a plethora of custom stacked lenses.

[video=youtube_share;Y6o6DpvVV0w]http://youtu.be/Y6o6DpvVV0w[/video]

How the hell did he keep a gopro so still on that pigmy for the first 20 seconds or so? even with a reef hook/ pole mount...you could not keep it that steady. I think it must have been a pony to another camera that ballast its weight.

Could be a tripod, might also be some slow motion in editing or extremely steady hands.

Macro video is tough to shoot.

Yes that would be very hard in current. In light current the gomask appeared OK. Check out this footage I took on one of the dives with lighter current. Let me know what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwsqHPxGk4

Ronscuba when you say you just cut a circle from a filter , what type of filter? Where did you get it from (I.e hardware store or a special store) how do I obtain this special filter and how deep does it go. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronscuba could give more details but from what I've seen and heard, it's a thin piece of transparent, colored film that is cut into the shape of the inside of the port then placed inside port against the glass. Being inside, pressure is not a factor. Using most outside filters pressure is also irrelevant because they are wet filters (they don't contain any empty cavities).

Last edited:
Ronscuba could give more details but from what I've seen and heard, it's a think piece of transparent, colored film that is cut into the shape of the inside of the port then placed inside port against the glass. Being inside, pressure is not a factor. Using most outside filters pressure is also irrelevant because they are wet filters (they don't contain any empty cavities).

Correct.

I bought a 22"x22" filter sheet, made by Lee Filters. Filter color # 779. The sheet costs $7. Like El Pistoffo said, I cut a piece and put it inside the housing. A 22"x22" sheet could make hundreds of internal filters. The sheet is the thickness of a piece of paper. You can buy it online from a photo or lighting store. Just search lee filter 779

The external removable/flip filters are good if you plan on shooting with and without lights on the same dive. I don't really see the need to pay the increased cost of an external filter if you don't have a need to take it off underwater.

I haven't had problems with my gomask when i keep my head down looking for crab. It probably wont be so bad if the op wasn't breathing so irregularly. the gopro studios has editing software meant exactly for diving that I have used that enhances colors missed underwater to almost as good as a filter.

If you're dead set on not using a filter, you may be able to get adequate results at less than 60 ft using protune/camraw and some serious editing. However, a $30 filter is probably the way to go. I'd rather have colour over light any day.
You do understand that a filter reduces the amount of red light going to your CMOS correct?

---------- Post added April 26th, 2014 at 09:07 PM ----------

Correct.

I bought a 22"x22" filter sheet, made by Lee Filters. Filter color # 779. The sheet costs $7. Like El Pistoffo said, I cut a piece and put it inside the housing. A 22"x22" sheet could make hundreds of internal filters. The sheet is the thickness of a piece of paper. You can buy it online from a photo or lighting store. Just search lee filter 779

The external removable/flip filters are good if you plan on shooting with and without lights on the same dive. I don't really see the need to pay the increased cost of an external filter if you don't have a need to take it off underwater.

Yes Polar Pro Filters Did the same when they first launched their filters. But why do you so despertly want to take more B/G out of the photo? I really do not understand this whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom