Hero3+ footage from Raja Ampat Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also @RonScuba if you have the time you can make the edit in FinalCut Pro X and make it appear better then without a filter however this does take a bit of time and for the GoPro user I understand why most would want to use a filter because they want that immediate satisfaction.

Thanks Paul. Do you have any other suggestions on how I can improve my videos ?

No no, I believe you. So Backscatter filter for the Red Sea next Month? has any decent macro footage came out of a Gopro yet? I see advertizments now for 10x dioplar but I do not beleive that it could take good footage of Pigmies.

Hi Paul, I'll jump in here fwiw. I've learned so much from this forum, and I like to give back when I can. My usual dive profile is in the green waters of Puget Sound and most video is close up because viz usually isn't (Disclaimer: in my personal experience since 1982) better than 20 feet. (I have to go to Hawaii for great viz) The focal distance on the Macromate mini is 2 1/2 inches. I bought one and took a few pictures of the cherry blossoms on my tree right outside for practice. I had to hold the GoPro very very still. I then switched to the +10 diopter which gave me a minimum focus distance of 7 inches. I did these tests now so I could see what the results would be before I went into the water. I do believe the MM will give excellent images underwater however IMHO as other members suggested, a tripod is a must. I've watched dozens of members videos studying the image and the technique. It's very obvious tripods are used for macro work. One of my friends who has been published in magazines around the world (Nat Geo, Alert Diver, The Smithsonian, and six dozen more because marine photography is his daytime job) talked to me about GoPro based on his experience and he literally handed me a tripod and said this is a solid must for macro photography underwater. I love filters and won't do imaging without one, that's the second most important thing other than my buddy! Good luck!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom