Hero3+ footage from Raja Ampat Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes Polar Pro Filters Did the same when they first launched their filters. But why do you so despertly want to take more B/G out of the photo? I really do not understand this whatsoever.

I like the end result. I prefer how my footage looks with a filter than without. Shouldn't be hard to understand.

Forget about blue, green, red, cutting light, etc.. Look at the end result. Look at your footage and look at the example clip I posted. From a color perspective, which do you prefer ? If you prefer yours, cool, don't use a filter. I prefer the color in mine, which is why I use a filter.

B-----d pink huh? I hope that isn't some sick joke :wink: ...So do I just put the filter between the lenses and the glass on the case?

B-----d pink huh? I hope that isn't some sick joke :wink: ...So do I just put the filter between the lenses and the glass on the case?

Yeah, insert the filter inside the housing right up against the port and then insert the camera. For the filter, cut a small circle and leave a thin "tail" coming off the circle. Bend the tail 90 degrees to the circle. The tail becomes a handle to make removing the filter easier. I think I used a penny or nickel as a template to cut the circle.

What color would I want to use for greener colored water?

Use the same filter for blue and green water. Here is the color transmission chart.

chart.png

Do you have some video of the actual filter in use next to a non-filtered camera? I'm quite curious how well this works. What made you decide #779 and not #780 or such?

Do you have some video of the actual filter in use next to a non-filtered camera? I'm quite curious how well this works. What made you decide #779 and not #780 or such?

I posted a clip shot with the filter earlier in the thread. Paul posted video without a filter

Definitely sold me on NOT getting the mask mount. Those bubbles pretty much ruin the video.

You need a tray or monopod as suggested.. That "GOMASK" ...well , appears to be highly ineffective... You said you didn't want to hear about a filter....So.. I won't tell you that you need a filter :)

Just watched the video on you sig. Very cool. Is Coz that cold you need a full wetsuit?
VERY colorful. And that's with a Hero 2? I'm pretty well sold on a Hero 3 now. I have been using the video on my Canon Powershot and I feel like I'm really cheating myself out of some quality video. I get decent stills, but I've had several days where I really wish I had a better quality video camera.

I've heard mixed things about the filters. Is it really driven by the depth you're filming at? How much does having an external light help when you're getting video of critters and stuff on the coral heads?

What is your experience with pulling stills off the video? Looks like you would be able to get pretty decent ones.

It looks like you were pretty much trimmed head up for the whole video, which may have exacerbated the problem with the bubbles. Trim out more horizontal, and you'll likely get less distracting video as well...even with the mask mount.

You do also know that if you want the new optical quality of the Glass filters (like the new hero3+ reg and dive filter) is made from CR67 Red Filter like found on this link. Color Filters You simply can get for 10 dollars that filter and then for 30 dollars a backscatter (like) frame with a 55mm ring and have yourself a (yes plastic not cnc frame but still) a 40 dollar flip filter if you do want the glass properties rather then a gel filter from roscoe.
Also @RonScuba if you have the time you can make the edit in FinalCut Pro X and make it appear better then without a filter however this does take a bit of time and for the GoPro user I understand why most would want to use a filter because they want that immediate satisfaction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom