Hey you Cops, wouldya' cite me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick their is flexibility in the law and officers choice does play into a lot. For example every one is familiar with or should be with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper pulling and ambulance over then getting into a scuffle with the paramedic. Not to debate the things that happened during the events but one does have to look at the fall out from the events. For one it really egged the Oklahoma Highway patrol because yes he had the right to pull the ambulance over but just imagine how that looks to joe public.

2nd we look at their was an innocent party involved and that was the patient. It was over 100 degrees reportedly that day and the patient was sitting in an iron box basicly in which the ac unit are known for not being able to keep that size of a vehicle cool in the back anyway.

3rd was we look at though he had the right to pull the ambulance over he did not do it because of the infraction he did it because he perceived the paramedic had flipped him the bird. With that the stop was not initiated due to an infraction but instead was initiated out of anger.

as a law enforcement officer he had several different ways he could have approached this and one was to get the number of the ambulance and handle it internally. second was he could have stopped the ambulance determine where they were going and get the drivers id and met them at the hospital or nursing home what ever the final destination was.

Im not posting this in no way to state he was right or wrong because its not the point of my statement. My point is there are no set ground rules for how an officer handles a situation and each situation is unique. and an officer has to look at possible outcomes too. For example what if the trooper pulled the ambulance over and the patient passed away on the side of the road?

As a public servant was are obligated to enforce the law but how it gets enforced is up to the officer so long as the outcome satisfies the law. This is why even a warning is sufficient as it re-enforces the law.

Thanks for the "boy" part. :D

As you say, you're not a cop, nor am I, so I don't know how much flexibility the law gives them. But the several I know personally are reasonable and can think for themselves just fine. I believe in following the law or paying the consequences. But I do appreciate those officers who can look at an individual situation intelligently and act accordingly. :coffee:

[/COLOR]

I can promise you that if James Croft ever came to my place it would be to go for a dive, not because I gave him any hard time as an officer.

Thanks for the invite Rick, where are we going?

I took a shock corded tent pole that breaks down into three pieces and attached a flag to it. It stows very nicely and it is nice to have and if I need to surface and feel the need for a flag I just open it up and poke it out of the water until I know the coast is clear. Hopefully it will be seen and nobody will run me over or shoot at me when I get to the surface. Maybe that would work for you as well.

Cool Idea! When I'm side-mount I could stow it along side my liftbag and long hose. In my rec rig I'm not sure, where do you stow it?

There are some areas where flying a flag is ILLEGAL. The St Lawrence is one. Send up a flag or tow one in the shipping channel and that means all those big freighters have to stop. It takes a big area to stop them. I have heard that causing that can cost you up to 10 grand.

There are some areas where flying a flag is ILLEGAL. The St Lawrence is one. Send up a flag or tow one in the shipping channel and that means all those big freighters have to stop. It takes a big area to stop them. I have heard that causing that can cost you up to 10 grand.

WOW so in this instance what is the procedure? I know that those big ships often come with a deep draft so surely as a diver you would need some sort of protection from being hit.

"Hey you Cops, wouldya' cite me?" If you approach them with this line, I'm betting the house they will for something. :)

WOW so in this instance what is the procedure? I know that those big ships often come with a deep draft so surely as a diver you would need some sort of protection from being hit.

The protection if in the channel is keep your ass on the bottom and don't surface into the hull or prop. The main channel in the rivers is up to 250 + feet deep. If you get blown off stay at 50-60 and swim perpendicular to the current till you hit shore. Then get ready to hitch a ride back up river.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Jeez, Rick did you hit a nerve!

I HATE DIVE FLAGS!!!

The protection if in the channel is keep your ass on the bottom and don't surface into the hull or prop. ...//....

Duh, seems obvious to everyone but New Jersey.

I remain convinced that dive flags are nothing more than a way to discourage diving, period.

Useless, dangerous, nonsense. Total annoyance to fishermen, and I sometimes fish from shore or bulkheads (Shark River Inlet) so I know. I will gladly endure the occasional fish-hook!

OK, I NEED a flag, NJ, but I still CAN'T ENTER THE SHIP CHANNELS??? Who is making this stuff up???

As a patrol Sgt working in law enforcement for 17 years, I will agree that it often rests on the person's attitude as to whether I cite or not. We are allowed a certain discretion when dealing with situations like this.

For instance, if I question you and you give me a calm reasonable explanation about hidden hazards in this area and how a flag mat entangle you, I may just explain the risks and the fact that you might be found at fault if an accident does happen. Then, having been warned, I can go my way.

If, the first words out of your mouth is that I was a "dumbass MF pig for bothering him".....well, let's just say the law must be upheld, sometimes!!:eyebrow:

I missed this on the first read: <Darned if I did not get clobbered by a canoe with an electric motor>> !! Sorry, James, but that was too hilarious. River diving is much trickier than I realized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom