Hi, I'm new here...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The following conversation got me thinking:

This place should come with instructions. :D

I'm with you on that. At times I see something here on SB, and it takes me forever to figure out how it's done. Not that there probably haven't been instructions for a particular action posted, it's just that finding those instructions can be difficult.

We get a lot of new users signing up, but not really participating. Part of it could be just trying to find an answer to a specific question and that's all, part of it could be overwhelmed with all the things going on here.

I thought if we compiled a list of features or benefits, sort of a "New User's Guide" it may help some of them find their way around the board and participate more.

So the question is, as a new user, what feature or information do you wish you'd known about sooner?

I am a newb so I doubt I would have much information to offer but I personally think the site is laid out pretty well. The "Those considering..." and "Basic Scuba..." discussions are right on top. Most of the forums have stickies for commonly asked questions.

Like I said I am totally new at this but if there is anything I can do to help make things easier for new users (like me) just let me know.

Jason

I am a newb so I doubt I would have much information to offer but I personally think the site is laid out pretty well. The "Those considering..." and "Basic Scuba..." discussions are right on top. Most of the forums have stickies for commonly asked questions.

Like I said I am totally new at this but if there is anything I can do to help make things easier for new users (like me) just let me know.

Jason

You may be just the type of person to answer this best Jason. When you have that "aha" moment of finding something you didn't know about before, please let us know.

Us long time users sometimes forget that there was a time we didn't know how to do/find something. :wink:

1. When I first joined, I didn't realize the difference between adding an avatar and picture to my profile.
2. What is the purpose of Thanks Given?
3. How to leave someone a trader rating.
4. What is User CP?
5. The difference from searching a thread and using the Search option at the very top of the page.
5. Blogs..Can anyone create a blog? and if so, how? this is something I still don't understand.

Carrie

Maybe a section or thread where these questions can be fielded by the populance of the board as a whole. "Qyestions on and How to use the Board" as an example. Simple but effective.:idk:

Maybe a section or thread where these questions can be fielded by the populance of the board as a whole. "Qyestions on and How to use the Board" as an example. Simple but effective.:idk:

That's kind of what I'm heading towards, but before I can put together some sort of reference or sticky, I'm looking for ideas of what to include in it.

I know this probably plagues every vBulletin forum but any tips on searching would be helpful.

Jason

BTW - Very good little article on "What does DIR mean?".

Thanks on both counts Jason. :)

I still have issues posting pictures correctly! I'm sure the instructions are out these, scattered over 1000's of posts, or maybe on one post that I just haven't found yet.

I still have issues posting pictures correctly! I'm sure the instructions are out these, scattered over 1000's of posts, or maybe on one post that I just haven't found yet.

Embedding, attaching, or uploading to gallery?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom