HID Light experiences...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dscuba

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm thinking about buying an HID canister light sometime soon. Right now I'm trying to decide between a 10Watt OMS HID light (phantom light - 5 hour burn time) and a 10Watt Dive-Rite HID light (with either wreck1 or MLS1 canister 2/4 hr burn time respectively). Could anyone here discuss their experiences with either of these lights? Other lights? There is a significant prices difference between the two lights, so if anyone could justify the more expensive OMS to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

OMS - $700
Dive-Rite $400

check out American Underwater Lighting
and Extreme Exposure

AUL prices are competitive, product is good.
EE prices are "up there" but the product is excellent.

OMS lights (usually) link directly to the backplate (some
find that to be NOT "DIR")

Dive-Rite MLS has been sarcastically referred to as "Multiple Leak System". I have no experience with it
but know of at least one person who became so frustrated
with constant problems another light was purchased.

Speaking of lights, has anyone used the HID UK light? I saw it at my LDS and it seems sweet! Uses 8 c batteries and it is hand held. I think it is a ten watt as well, and they had it for about $200. I am not a tech diver nor a DIR diver, but I do want to become cavern certified. Any comments? (Talk about your loaded question here...)

:p

buy a CANNISTER light if you are truly interested in
diving an OH environment. it is as close to hands free
operation (with a goodman handle) as you will obtain
without placing the light on your head. believe me,
you will quickly tire of having to hold the light
as is needed with a conventional "lantern" or "pistol"
grip.

I own a Dive Rite MlS1 10w Hid. I love the light output I get with it. The light spectrum color is awesome. I have not yet had any problems with leaking. I've put maybe 75 dives on it in the 75ft to 165ft range. What I dont like about the MLS1 is the bulkiness of it when I'm above water. I dont notice it below water.
I like the way OMS's batterie cannisters are designed I just dont like the way they suggest on their web page to secure them to your plate. So if I had the OMS I would not use the metal to metal connections I would use something I could cut if I had to.
All in all you will not be disappointed with HID lighting. I once was on a wreck with a friend who had a 8d halogen light and we were right outside the pilot house and he was pointing his light through a port hole. Well you could see great where the light was pointing and that was it. I pointed the HID in and it lit up the entire pilot house. Thats when I truley new it was worth my investment. I also agree in purchasing a cannister and a goodman handle instead of UK's hand held HID. Hands free operation!!

I just ordered an AUL Tracer 7. HID 10w. 4-5 hour burn time. I hope it will come insometime this week. I'll give you a full report after I try it out.

-kate

I'd strongly recommend you didn't buy anything until you checked out the NiteRider HID from Dive Lights International. These lights are awesome. I've had the opportunity to play with a pre-production one, and it blew my mind. If you are looking for signifcantly longer burn times than the standard one's they sell, it's also possible to have lights configured with the larger battery packs as well as the sweetest looking custom canisters on the planet!

I'm drooling Mario... but they are cost prohibitive (for me anyway).

-kate

Hey all,

I was pretty impressed with their 5 cell incandescent. I can’t wait to see their HID…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom