hitting head when using BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
Ash, you and Nemrod both have made this a pretty interesting thread. Off subject fortunately but interesting and educational. Neither of you were tossing out that off-the-wall wild stuff like "gee, someone might push you overboard while you're 20 lbs overweighted."

I think I learned a little from both of you and by reading both of your posts I think I gained some confidence that I do some things right. I would like to hear more. Quite frankly I had never put much thought into the need to reach back and open the valve. I'm sure thinking about it now.

Can't you two kiss and make up? Okay, forget the kissing part.

N's O.K. by me....and it sounds like he'd be a gas to dive with but we just happen to disagree on this issue. Ain't no biggie!

I wish I had more to suggest to Mel but the fact is I have never used a Black Arts plate and I don't know anyone that has. My flattest plate is Tobin's but I don't recall this being an issue with his. But, then again, I use a STA all the time. My other plates have more of a bend and a deeper channel...especially my FredT plate...so it is even less of an issue. All that I know is that with the right combination of gear most of us don't have this particular problem...and contrary to what some have teasingly suggested, we just aren't walkin'' around with our tanks over our heads getting knocked senseless by our reg. Most of us are quite comfortable, still able to look up without indenting our calvarium and can easily reach our valve should the need arise.

I've gotta think that this is more a problem related to choice of equipment rather than strictly a matter of tank position. So what do ya tell a guy with a really flat plate and who is about to be pithed by his reg...either set the tank back a little with a STA or drop the tank lower. If dropping the tank means ya can't reach your valve then it seems to me that the STA is a better idea.

OTOH, maybe a change in equipment is in order. Ditch the BA plate and the Mares reg and get a more tried and true combination.

I don't have the skill of working my valve, never tried it but I think a new skill wouldn't hurt me so I'm willing to learn a new skill anytime.

I used to have the same head banging problem with my Transpack II, but with my BP and STA the reg is far enough so I won't hit my head.

I don't see why I got to adapt to a nuisance, just get the right gear for you.

Unless you're issued gear by your boss, diving should be fun.

Back
Top Bottom