Hog harness rigging for carrying octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several years ago we had a fatal accident in the gulf of Finland where the victim's octo was in one of those "pacifier" looking holder cups that completely covers the mouthpiece. The victim had ripped the octohold free from its clip, but the cover was in place. The investigation concluded that her failure to get the cover off the mouthpiece, i.e. the poor accessability of her alternate air source was likely to have contributed to the severity of the accident.
Briefly: not good, too difficult to use in a hurry/high stress.

---------- Post added December 17th, 2014 at 01:05 PM ----------

I would strongly recommend the necklace. In all fairness your greatest concern is for yourself and you could not possibly find that extra reg more quickly or more easily than when it is on a necklace around your neck.
I don't like folding the hose through. D-ring because I like to have the rings available for other items and I suspect it isn't great for the durability of the hose.

Several years ago we had a fatal accident in the gulf of Finland where the victim's octo was in one of those "pacifier" looking holder cups that completely covers the mouthpiece.
Is that how you're supposed to use it? :confused::wink:

A little more seriously, I used one of those before I went to a LH/BO setup. However I was never happy with the way my octo was positioned when I tried stuffing the mouthpiece into the cup, so I just folded the hose double and stuffed it into the holder¹. Worked a lot better than stuffing the mouthpiece into the hole, IMO.

¹ And before you ask why I didn't just stuff the hose into the D-ring instead, the D-ring was located too far up, and besides, it was too small to accommodate a doubled up MP hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom