Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, here's a "minimum" list of tools you should own before working on your Hog:

Set of combination wrenches from 1/2" thru 7/8" (Please don't use an adjustable wrench)
Set of metric hex wrenches
3/16" hex wrench (port plugs)
O-ring Pick(s)
3/16" flat screwdriver
Scuba Tool's first stage handle (SKU# 20-115-100)
Work space with more than adequate lighting and maybe some magnifying ability as well
Cleaning materials (I use an ultrasonic cleaner with an expensive solution, but many use a brush and vinegar)
Wash area
Clean & dry air supply
IP (Intermediate Pressure) Gauge
Magnehelic Gauge (or a bowl of water)
Books: Regulator Savvy by Peter Wolfinger and/or Scuba Regulator Manual by Vance Harlow

I use hose wrenches (fuel line wrenches) rather than combination wrenches.

In many cases you can substitute a CO2 cartridge for a first stage handle.

What's more complicated, changing out a set of brake pads or servicing a regulator? You do them at rather similar intervals.

I use hose wrenches (fuel line wrenches) rather than combination wrenches.
Overkill. They should never be tightened that severely to need a line wrench. I own several sets, both in wrench and socket configurations and have never felt the need to use them while working on a reg.

In many cases you can substitute a CO2 cartridge for a first stage handle.
Only curmudgeons with old BCs that used CO2 cartridges would have one hanging around. I'm admitting nothing here, but the Scubatool device has both the LP and HP ends.

What's more complicated, changing out a set of brake pads or servicing a regulator? You do them at rather similar intervals.
Wow, it varies widely depending on the vehicle in question. Unfortunately, most mechanics ignore the hydraulic system when they "hang" a set of pads. They don't turn the rotors and they are quite cavalier about the hardware. Run the hydraulics dry on an ABS system and you have just created a whole lot of work.

Did you take the time to check your just serviced gear before you left the shop?

Does the average customer know how to check a regulator after service? Usually the only check is does it breath which it probably did before it was dropped off.

I was in the Automotve industry in collision repair for 20 years. I did everything from door dings to major hits including extensive front end component replacement, air bags, anti lock braking systems, wiring, R & I on all sorts of makes and models of door hardware - window regulators, troubleshooting, frame and unibody pulling and measuring. I do my own brakes, Trans service, timing belts, tire rotations (You'd be amazed at how many people don't know how to change a tire properly), I used to install shift kits in late 60's early 70's Mopar 727A trajnsmissions and rebuilt one once. I've always done all my own tune ups from my first VW bug to all my Chrysler muscle cars to my Toyota P/U
I've even set up a rear end (emergency bench rebuild) with just hand tools and the shims I had and managed to get the preload on the bearings good enough to get by for another 40K miles before it completely went kaput.

I think I can handle a regulator service and rebuild.

I can rebuild a reg, and have done a lot of them.

That said, I would not do the brakes on my truck or any other work a skilled mechanic should do. I do not have the training/skill/experience/etc nor do I have the facilities/tools/parts/equipment/desire to perform the work properly. I change the oil, air filters, cabin air filters, and keep the tires properly inflated. The rest? That's what my debit card is for.

Pete, reading this board over the last few years I can't I agree with that. The impression I have gotten from the majority of posts is that they want to (or suggest brands that allow it) save the costs of servicing. It's possible that it comes down to perception, as our perceptions are our reality.

I repaced all my SP and Apex regs due to the annual serving costs (upwards of $400) and to eliminate the bitter hatred I had for needing to keep paperwork in order to avoid paying even higher costs and the perceived hostile treatment by shop owners towards me if my paperwork was not in order (and the wait times to get them back). Between my many cylinders and regs, I was paying very close to $1,200 a year for VIP, O2 cleaning, and other annual servicing. I keep receipts, that's what it was in 2010 and 2011. I brought all of that down to about $200/year (2012 - not including the upfront tools/training costs).

So yes, it was ORIGINALLY about cost. But then standardization. But then I realized it's more about the freedom you gain being able to service your own equipment any time, any place. Anyone who thinks this is purely about cost is deceiving themselves. You'll spend more upfront but gain certain responsibilities and obligations (and time commitments) in the process that may not outweight the ease of just paying for it somewhere in some cases.

For those that asked about the tools and parts and so on, here's the inventory that I created as I bought everything and the prices I paid. This is minimal (I don't have a magnehelic or flow meter) but this is sufficient for my needs. Hope it helps someone (zero's mean I didn't order the item):

Item
Price
QTY
Total
Class - SDI Cylinder & Valve Technician
$250.00
$0.00
Class - TDI O2 Service Technician
$250.00
$0.00
Class - TDI HOS Regularor Service Technician
$250.00
$250.00
Reg Savvy
$32.00
$32.00
1st Stg Handle
$29.00
$29.00
Dual Drive inline adj tool
$69.00
$69.00
ChristoLube
$32.00
$32.00
O-ring pick set, soft brass
$12.50
$12.50
O-ring pick set, 5 pieces
$8.75
$8.75
3/8" Drive Dial Torque Wrench
$149.70
$149.70
Hook pin spanner (1.5" / 1/8" pin)
$9.76
$9.76
Hook spanner #6
$14.00
$28.00
Hook sppner pin 1/8" for #6
$2.00
$4.00
Thin Jaw Adjustable Wrench
$40.00
$40.00
Lighted Magnafier
$10.00
$10.00
Imperial long hex bit sockets
$23.00
$23.00
Metric long hex bit sockets
$15.00
$15.00
Metric hex key set (incl. 7mm key)
$18.00
$18.00
Imperial Hex key set
$0.00
$0.00
Ultrasonic cleaner
$84.95
$84.95
2nd Stage cap remove
$10.00
$10.00
Guage for dual drive adjusting tool
$25.00
$25.00
DIN Retainer Tool
$29.00
$29.00
HP Restrictor Bullet O'Ring Kit
$8.50
$8.50
Orifice/Valve T-Handle
$23.00
$23.00
Schrader Valve Tool (1.65" BIT)
$6.00
$6.00
HOG D1 1st Stage Service Kit
$20.00
$40.00
HOG D1 2nd Stage Service Kit
$15.00
$30.00
HOG D2 2st Stage Service Kit
$20.00
$0.00
HOG D1 Soft Face Cover
$8.00
$0.00
Materials
$737.16
W/Class
$737.16
Class
$250.00
$250.00
SDI - Visual Inspection Procedures book
$23.80
$0.00
OPV Removal Tools
$13.00
$13.00
Pit Guage
$23.31
$23.31
Tank plugs
$4.00
$4.00
Tank neck brush
$16.25
$16.25
Thermo Valve Service Kit
$16.00
$0.00
Viton O-Rings (Individual Asst)
$1.00
$0.00
All-in-One Thermo Valve Repair Tool
$50.00
$50.00
Inflator Service Tool (DSS)
$8.50
$8.50
Viton O-Rings (Pack of 50)
$25.00
$0.00
Tumbler
$200.00
$0.00
Dental 3x Magnafier
$16.00
$16.00
Materials
$131.06
w/Class
$381.06
Total
$1,118.22

Here in Hawaii, when you live a quarter of the way up a Volcano, brake pads (at least up front) last about as long as air filters and such, they go fast. Doing the rotors (every other pad change) is, at least on most of my vehicles, just one extra step. Having taught both, I am quite comfortable stating that it is far easier to teach a person to service a regulator than it is to teach a person to change the brake pads.

I can fix it. My dad's got an awesome set of tools.

Does the average customer know how to check a regulator after service?
Yes, all of our's do. We go over their repaired gear and how to test their gear.

Ideally, we have them test dive their "just repaired gear" in the pool.

We have them sign a statement that they have tested their gear.

This procedure has virtually eliminated problems after the repair.

The last thing we want to hear is " I just got my gear serviced and now it doesn't work. "

I did have a couple come back from Cozumel complaining about our service. I asked them when they had their problem. They said after the 10th dive.

I looked in their 1st stage. It was very "dirty " with what looked like charcoal. Do you think they may have got some " Bad " fills?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom