Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, all of our's do. We go over their repaired gear and how to test their gear.

Ideally, we have them test dive their "just repaired gear" in the pool.

We have them sign a statement that they have tested their gear.

This procedure has virtually eliminated problems after the repair.

The last thing we want to hear is " I just got my gear serviced and now it doesn't work. "

I did have a couple come back from Cozumel complaining about our service. I asked them when they had their problem. They said after the 10th dive.

I looked in their 1st stage. It was very "dirty " with what looked like charcoal. Do you think they may have got some " Bad " fills?

My one problem occurred after having my ex-wife's MK 7/108 serviced at the LDS that used to be in my home town. I checked it out in the river the next day and it seemed to be working fine. The following weekend, my ex-wife and I went to Summersville Lake for some diving. About half way through our second dive, the first stage started losing air. Just a little at first, then it got progressively worse before we got back to the surface. I took it apart when we got home and discovered that the tech had reused the old o-rings, one of which had failed.

Paladin, well that is just wrong. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

Paladin, well that is just wrong. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

Things happen. The fault lay in the shop's business practices. They routinely cut corners to improve profit margins. One mistake was trying to be a ScubaPro dealer in this area. West Virginia is, traditionally, an economically depressed area. It always has been. Couple that with the fact that we aren't a big dive destination and you have a combination that is not well suited for higher priced SCUBA gear sales. They would have done better to go with Dacor or US Divers. As it was, they tried to compensate for low sales volume by cutting expenses elsewhere. They went out of business years ago, leaving their SP owning customers in the lurch. The closest ScubaPro dealer is now 200 miles away.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several posts have been deleted for being off topic. Please keep to the subject. Thanks.

Give it a rest. Just because a regulator costs more doesn't make it the best. In fact, there is at least one brand (y'all know which one I'm referring to) that costs twice as much as other brands that are just as good. Personally, I've dived regs of that brand and don't care for them. There are other, less expensive regs I would rather dive. The only thing that particular company makes that I would recommend is a certain, popular fin. Otherwise, anyone looking for some great, quality regulators would do very well to give Edge/HOG regulators a try.

---------- Post Merged at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:17 PM ----------

HOG has got some other brands running scared because they know that Edge/HOG makes some of the best regulators out there.

Are you talking about Atomic??? I would love to know? I'm not a dealer just someone in the market for a good reg....

The closest ScubaPro dealer is now 200 miles away.
or just a click away in today' new world.

or just a click away in today' new world.

True, but most people like to have a local shop to deal with. The convenience of having a shop close by where they can walk in, drop off gear for service and then pick it up on the way home from work is invaluable. And should there be a problem with a purchase or a service issue, resolution is usually quicker than if done solely by mail order.

I have made a number of purchases online because I haven't found what I needed locally but, given a choice, I prefer to deal locally if the LDS can come reasonably close, in selection and price, to online sources.

SCUBA is not a big industry in my area and, if a shop is going to survive here, selection and price are important considerations. You have to give the customer as wide a selection as possible with the best prices possible or you aren't going to make it in this market.

There must be 20 dive shops within 200 miles of me. I live in Colorado. 1 HOG dealer within 500 miles of me. There are 6 ScubaPro within 25 miles of my house.

The HOG dealer is in Kearney Nebraska. Not exactly my idea of a pleasant drive.

That is enough to stop me from buying HOG. They sound like really good equipment. I am not prepared to service my own regulators.

UPS probably runs real close to you house though :wink:

Yep, overnight delivery and everything. I am kind of funny about things like that though. I would rather be looking at it than looking for it.:D

Back
Top Bottom