Hog Regulator Combo or get something better ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had not heard of hog til last Nov. since I joined Scubaboard. I had never seen a hog til my Sea of Cortez trip last week. ... The Scubapro regs. on the trip performed fawlessly...

Did the HOG reg(s) also perform flawlesslessy or just the SP regs?

Not from what I read. the scubaboard member already commented on the issue he had with the hog. Think it was an o-ring

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Not from what I read. the scubaboard member already commented on the issue he had with the hog. Think it was an o-ring

Yes there was an issue reported by NetDoc, but the HOG reg he was using was a prototype.

Beaver divers quote implied the Hog did not perform flawlessly, yet he does not say.

Beaver divers quote implied the Hog did not perform flawlessly, yet he does not say.
I said...

In fact, he's referring to my Hog regulator leaking while in the Sea of Cortez. I was diving some prototype Hog regs and the high pressure seat O-Ring split in two on my left side. When I pulled it apart, I found that the high pressure seat plug had not been tightened correctly. It's not the first reg to fail in this world, and it won't be the last.

Ahhhh I seeeeeew! I thought they were different occurrences. In all this confusion you could see how I mixed it up I am sure.

Who suggested this at all?

For most people, it's about 4 hours.

You still have that option. There are plenty of after market seats and o-rings available to fit most regs.

Net Doc, I believe in one of your posts you mention most divers should not repair their own reg. However, I was questioning when the industry decided not to sell parts to individuals? When did they decide it was too difficult of a job to handle.

So in 4 hours they take someone from zero to hero? A bit short don't you think?

The aftermarket seats from Trident only cover very few regulators. For Scubapro I believe they cover the MK-2, MK-5, MK-10. Your SOL if you have a Mk-10+, Mk-15, or Mk-20/25. However my local Ford dealer (as will any other car dealer) will gladly sell me genuine factory parts, how come my local Scubapro dealer won't?

As I recall the move away from self-service was a part of the NASDS/ScubaPro/Bailey lashup of the 1960s. They tried to create their own separate community complete with their own magazine, resort and liveaboard, so that the chosen few would never brush up against the unwashed masses and learn the truth.

Net Doc, I believe in one of your posts you mention most divers should not repair their own reg.
Quite true. But I didn't say it was "hard". It just takes a commitment of resources that most are unwilling to make. Most divers shouldn't be diving teck either for the very same reasons.

However, I was questioning when the industry decided not to sell parts to individuals? When did they decide it was too difficult of a job to handle.
It's a litigious society we live in. Corporations do a lot to minimize their exposure to this very real risk.

So in 4 hours they take someone from zero to hero? A bit short don't you think?
Not really. They get to rebuild their own regs and their inflator as well. They'll understand pre-tear down analysis, the need to take pictures, using a systematic approach and how the using the right tool (not the back end of a flashlight) will make all the difference. It's up to them to make the commitment to acquire the right tools and to keep up their skills after the class.

The aftermarket seats from Trident only cover very few regulators. For Scubapro I believe they cover the MK-2, MK-5, MK-10. Your SOL if you have a Mk-10+, Mk-15, or Mk-20/25.
I have gotten all sorts of parts for all sorts of regs off of the internet. I have yet to be stymied for a current regulator.

However my local Ford dealer (as will any other car dealer) will gladly sell me genuine factory parts, how come my local Scubapro dealer won't?
I can't hope to speak for Scubapro in this, but my guess would be possible litigation and an agreement they have with their distributors. I don't even know that Scubapro prohibits selling of their parts. I have gotten them in the past as I have Apexs, Oceanic, Aqua Lung and Mares.

It's a litigious society we live in. Corporations do a lot to minimize their exposure to this very real risk.

Again why do car dealers sell parts? What about airplane companies, do they sell parts? What if someone uses aftermarket or old stock parts from the internet and gets injured, couldn't they sue Scubapro (or other manf. with the same policy) for not selling parts?

Not really. They get to rebuild their own regs and their inflator as well. They'll understand pre-tear down analysis, the need to take pictures, using a systematic approach and how the using the right tool (not the back end of a flashlight) will make all the difference. It's up to them to make the commitment to acquire the right tools and to keep up their skills after the class.

So then why don't other reg manufacturers offer repair courses if it only takes 4 hours to competently train someone.

I have gotten all sorts of parts for all sorts of regs off of the internet. I have yet to be stymied for a current regulator.

I can't hope to speak for Scubapro in this, but my guess would be possible litigation and an agreement they have with their distributors. I don't even know that Scubapro prohibits selling of their parts. I have gotten them in the past as I have Apexs, Oceanic, Aqua Lung and Mares.

You said aftermarket parts for which Trident is the only vendor I know. Yes you can find Scubapro and other parts on eBay or even in the SB classifieds. However why should anyone need to go through that trouble?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom