Hollis DG05 low price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The big question what is your priority.
Tank sensor
future Tech diving.

Tank sensors for me are a failure point as I have been on several dives where the sensor went down and the diver had no backup or way to read his pressure. I know the technology is getting better but I am old fashioned and like a guage. Just my old ways.

If you are a serious diver and will keep diving and may advance to more than just shallow recreational diving go with the Pretel. It is great and will give you a lot of info even if you do not go Tech.

Hope this helps...

I have a DG03 (I believe it's just the newer version of the DG02) and I like it for what I payed for it ($250 I think?). I wouldn't waste my money on a more expensive Hollis. Shearwater really is the best you can get, and is at $950 right now for the Petrel OW model on DGX (Petrel Dive Computer by Shearwater Research - Dive Gear Express). If I was looking at buying one of those techie lcd/oled screens I would only consider Liquidvision and Diverite after Shearwater.

That being said it is complete overkill for recreational diving. Your concern seems to be wanting something that is more easily readable. You just have to ask yourself if that's worth $1000....

The price drop in the DG05 is primarily because it is no longer in production. I’ve been diving one for a little over a year and a half now and its always worked fine for me. My primary reason for buying one was the OLED screen. Most of my diving is in low to no vis. waters looking for meg. teeth, and other artifacts. The water made it near impossible to read a SPG or any other backlit computer screens if you could even see them at all. The DG05’s screen however is very clear and sharp and I can make out my pressures and times without having to hold it against my mask. I also liked to versatility of the computer, it fit the bill for my local diving needs but also for when I go on deep wreak dives, or deco dives. It also allowed the option to expand into CC diving, if I were ever to want to get into that.

In my mind there was one, but now two drawbacks to the DG05, the first of which has already been mentioned. The screen is hard to read if your in sunny clear water, I've experienced this when rec. diving in the keys. The second drawback is that the DG05 is no longer in production, which makes me worry if I ever have to send it back to Hollis with a problem.

One thing I’ve heard and seen especially here on Scubaboard is a lot of people having trouble setting up the DG05 and understanding the manual, but I never had that issue. Personally it’s probably my OCD but I read that manual over and over before I ever got the computer, so when it arrived I was able to jet through the setup and start diving. There are a lot of options for how to setup the dive screen and what all you do/don’t want displayed while underwater, and I think people are lost in all the choices. The manual has a whole section that shows what the dive screen would display with different choices.

With all that said I still like my DG05, and probably will keep using it for the time being.

No.

Cappie, it would also be safe to say that part of the reason why you're diving a DG05 is because you get an awesome employee discount on Hollis gear. I know that's why I was considering getting one. Now, I'm looking at a Petrel if I ever upgrade from what I'm currently at (Hollis DG03, due to discount :D)

Hey Victor,
I wish I was an employee of Hollis, then I could forget all about this engineering crap…lol
but yes, in the interest of full disclosure I did receive a discount on my purchase as I was DM’ing for a Hollis dealer at the time.

While the discount definitely helped with my purchase, my reasoning is still the same. The DG05 was in my opinion the best computer option out at the time.

Once the petrel came out I seriously considered switching from the DG05, but could never and still can’t justify the switch. It appeared to me the petrel and DG05 had very close algorithms so I wouldn’t really be gaining an advantage there, but I liked the fact that the petrel could run off of any AA battery. The deciding factor for me though was the loose of the OLED screen and tank pressure monitoring, that the petrel just didn’t have.

That being said I wouldn’t mind playing with a petrel in the future, I just wouldn’t trade my DG05 for it.

Hey Victor,
I wish I was an employee of Hollis, then I could forget all about this engineering crap…lol
but yes, in the interest of full disclosure I did receive a discount on my purchase as I was DM’ing for a Hollis dealer at the time.

While the discount definitely helped with my purchase, my reasoning is still the same. The DG05 was in my opinion the best computer option out at the time.

Once the petrel came out I seriously considered switching from the DG05, but could never and still can’t justify the switch. It appeared to me the petrel and DG05 had very close algorithms so I wouldn’t really be gaining an advantage there, but I liked the fact that the petrel could run off of any AA battery. The deciding factor for me though was the loose of the OLED screen and tank pressure monitoring, that the petrel just didn’t have.

That being said I wouldn’t mind playing with a petrel in the future, I just wouldn’t trade my DG05 for it.

I didn't mean a Hollis employee....I meant through the LDS. I think the dg05 is a great computer at this price range, but thought the predator was better when this was full, original price. If I didn't already have a cheaper computer, I'd look at getting the dg05 to hold me over until I could justify a Petrel.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

how well does the wireless sensor work on the DG05? and can i connect 2 of them to my reg? like a wireless one and a wired one? just as a backup?

You can hook an SPG and a wireless transmitter up to your first stage IF your first stage has two HP ports. There are some "Y-adapters" that allow you to split a single HP port.

How good are those dg05 for spearfishing? Basically I'm looking for a computer that will last me for a long time but I'll mostly use it for spearfishing, I want something that I can read on a quick look, and not have to stop everything I'm doing focus on my dg02And read it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom