Hollis LED 25 issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE:

Hollis has gone out of their way to make sure that I came away with the light I wanted and refused to take any money for it. Although they no longer had the parts in house to replace mine or build a new one from scratch, they managed to cannibalize 2 of their stock units to provide me with a new light head that is the same as I had. This is pretty outstanding for a company to trash 2 complete lights just to be able to give a crybaby customer what he wanted. This not only cost them the ability to sell 2 brand new lights, but also the time and labor to create my new light head.

The fact that they would not accept payment for any aspect of this shows that they do indeed make a serious effort to take care of their customers and make good on their products.

Glad to hear that Dsix36.

It is a happy ending for you, but hearing that they have to cannibalize stock units just to repair units sure makes me wonder. I have had to send mine back at least 6 or 7 times since I bought it in May 2013, that averages out to sending it back every 4 months or so. At least 2 times I had to send it back after a repair because it failed again on the 1st dive.

So I hope it lasts a little longer this time, because it was last sent in around March. So it is probably due for a failure soon.

Did you make a tool to tighten the lens, or do you just do it by hand?

Glad to hear that Dsix36.

It is a happy ending for you, but hearing that they have to cannibalize stock units just to repair units sure makes me wonder. I have had to send mine back at least 6 or 7 times since I bought it in May 2013, that averages out to sending it back every 4 months or so. At least 2 times I had to send it back after a repair because it failed again on the 1st dive.

So I hope it lasts a little longer this time, because it was last sent in around March. So it is probably due for a failure soon.

Did you make a tool to tighten the lens, or do you just do it by hand?

I can not speak for their future warranty plans, but i do know that they are moving to a different manufacturer for their light parts (or whatever they get). It is possible that users might get an improved light head rather than just repair after repair of the existing heads. Maybe a kick butt deal on an upgrade? I do not know what the future hold for them.

As for tightening the bezel, I just used my trauma shears as a makeshift spanner wrench. The solution to this getting loose is to use a drop of red loctite during assembly (as per Hollis' advice).

Sound like you had a positive experience Dsix36. I ask you this. Are you a DIR or tech/cave diver? How does diving with a piece of equipment that has a known failure point that has failed you repeatedly figure in your diving practice? How would your teammate feel knowing your divining with equipment that has a high probability of failing? would you use a regulator that failed as much as your light? Tanks, mask, fins, computer etc? Run out of gas and signal you need assistance and your light dies cuz of a known failure issue. You get the point. I'm just saying. Consider your personal safety and that of those you dive with. take the equipment that is known to have a higher probability of working consistently. YMMV

I for one bet my life that my equipment will work each time i use it. I service it, learn how it functions, train and practice with it. If it doesn't work as it's designed and or fails more then twice. It's replaced. Last thing. If Hoills light manufactures made parachutes, would you use it skydiving?

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy and were taken care of. if we ever dive together, I'll bring and extra light for you lol Kidding

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2015 at 08:53 PM ----------

SPG01, So you saw the LM26w in action and compared it you your Hollis LED25 not bad huh? Sorry Yeah I'm on the LM nuts. The light rocks underwater and is looks like a solid build.

Sound like you had a positive experience Dsix36. I ask you this. Are you a DIR or tech/cave diver? How does diving with a piece of equipment that has a known failure point that has failed you repeatedly figure in your diving practice? How would your teammate feel knowing your divining with equipment that has a high probability of failing? would you use a regulator that failed as much as your light? Tanks, mask, fins, computer etc? Run out of gas and signal you need assistance and your light dies cuz of a known failure issue. You get the point. I'm just saying. Consider your personal safety and that of those you dive with. take the equipment that is known to have a higher probability of working consistently. YMMV

I for one bet my life that my equipment will work each time i use it. I service it, learn how it functions, train and practice with it. If it doesn't work as it's designed and or fails more then twice. It's replaced. Last thing. If Hoills light manufactures made parachutes, would you use it skydiving?

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy and were taken care of. if we ever dive together, I'll bring and extra light for you lol Kidding

SPG01, So you saw the LM26w in action and compared it you your Hollis LED25 not bad huh? Sorry Yeah I'm on the LM nuts. The light rocks underwater and is looks like a solid build.

Likely just the once.

I understand that your butt is still chapped from your experience. I can honestly say that I don't blame you and I feel your pain too.

I already dive with a backup primary and 2 backup lights. I have that issue covered and during my long wait for the repair, I was forced to purchase another primary to dive with. I do not have great faith in the Hollis light yet, but I am willing to give it another fair try. I would be a real dick to just give up after they went so far to get my light sorted out for me. I have to admit that I have thought about selling it direct from them (never wet) instead of taking the chance again.

I have a strong feeling that they made damn sure it was secure and the bezel was loctited in place after all the noise I made about it.

I have come to the conclusion that the Hollis LED 25 is not anywhere near the quality or reliability of LM or UWLD, but I have to say that their commitment to my issue (on my terms too) was quite outstanding. I am just sorry that I had to go post crazy to truly get their attention on the matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom