Hollis SMS75 vs Katana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwattendorf

Registered
Reaction score
New to sidemount and deciding between an Katana and SMS75, mainly pnw, drysuit diving, steel tanks. which is better?

xdeep classic, or possibly tec.

The SMS 75 allows gas to move up and down as you change orietation (head up/down). Sure, you can learn to deal with this, but why? there are wings out there that are much better. The SMS75 also has a bunch of fluff on the harness that ... just is not required for any dive I've ever done.

Can't comment on the katana from personal use, but if it has as much fluff and useless stuff (do you really need a quick fit system for your long term kit?) on it as the SMS75, you wont want it.

Whilst its true that you should always choose the right tool for the job, unless that job absolutely requires all that extra stuff, neither of those harness are the right tool for the job.

Take everything you need, nothing you do not.

FWIW, majority of my SM diving using OC has been done in fresh, cold water with Faber 12ls, often with a stage or two.

i would recommend calling Ed at cave adventures in florida. there is no one better to answer this question. they can also modify either rig to best suit your needs.

I dislike the SMS75. It works, and it works very well for some body shapes. But for me it caused lots of air to gather on the right/left side and had a terrible tendency to put my sides toward the surface. K2 is a good wing. I am on Razor these days, which is also pretty similar to the K2.

K2 has better dump locations than Razor, Razor has better harness system than K2.

Personal view is XDeep Stealth Tec/Rec > Razor > Katana 2 > Anything else

At this point the SMS75 is an outdated system that doesn't really excel in any area

Xdeep Tec above either. Katana above sms75.

My girlfriend dives a SMS75 and I dive a K2. She wishes she had my K2 on almost every dive. I would steer clear of the SMS75 if you are wanting a dedicated sidemount BC at this point.
Personally I didn't even enjoy the 75 as a hybrid unit. The work required to convert it is kindof a pain. Not a huge pain, but significant enough. And adding a metal tank adaptor adds some good rigidity and stops the backing from getting bent in odd ways while it is back mounted. But again, even more to have to fuss with.

I dive the K2 and have enjoyed it. I think it’s worth noting that you can make almost any of these work, but there might be some stuff you don’t like with any of them. For me, the K2 is unnecessarily padded and not as modular (the shoulder straps are stitched into the spine). However, I am willing to look past that for the other things I enjoy. You’ll never find a perfect bc imo. The sms wings are not great for anything but steel cylinders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom