Honduras - Report - "The State of Diving Tourism"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi kjm103

Yes that is one of the main whale shark months but we do have records here showing that we have seen whale sharks every month of the year in the last 2 years, yes there are times when we do see them in larger amounts, March / April / September / December but every time someone comes here they have a chance of seeing them.

I dont know where you are staying but I am sure you will have fun, its a great place to dive and in Scuba Diving magazine Utila has been voted in very highly in the best places to dive in the Caribbean.

We're headed to Utila in March as well(7th-15th). Travel in out was not easy to figure out and
we're still only part way there. We fly American into San Pedro Sula (3PM) and are still trying to
figure out how to get the rest of the way. From what I can tell so far it appears we'll need to
spend a night on the mainland, so we'll probably try to get to La Ceiba on the 7th and then take
the first ferry over on the 8th.

If anyone knows of a way to get to Utila from San Pedro after 3PM on Sunday please let me
know, either through PM or post.

Hi

I think you are correct, you will have to spend a night on the mainland If I am reading it correctly March the 7th is a Sunday, there are no normal flights into Utila on a Sunday, you should be able to either get a flight to La Ceiba or you can catch a bus or get a cab, the cab option is actually good it costs less than the flight and takes about 2 and a half hours and is a pretty drive, the last ferry leaves la Ceiba at 4pm so you would not have time to get through customs collect luggage and get to La Ceiba in time to get the ferry that day.

Then get the ferry from La Ceiba to Utila the next morning, if you are going to do this and would like recommendations of hotels in La Ceiba please just ask and I will try to assist.

Of course there is another option get in touch with the airlines and see if you can get an earlier flight in to San Pedro Sula.

Unfortunately, American does not seem to have an earlier flight - looks like I pulled the trigger a couple days too soon for my own good :-(

Hotel recommendations welcome. There will be 6 of us coming in so is multiple cabs or some type
of Van a better option?

I believe at this point the group is fairly set on staying at a home on Rocky Point beach, but we do not have a dive operation lined up for any boat dives yet. I'm assuming this is something that you can provide? Everyone wants to see whale sharks as well.....

Hotels in San Pedro Sula

Hilton San Pedro Sula Hotels - Hilton Princess San Pedro Sula Hotel, Honduras

Intercontinental InterContinental Hotels & Resorts | REAL SAN PEDRO SULA | Hotel Overview

Hotel Sula Gran Hotel Sula

Villa Nuria Apart Hotel Villa Nuria - Contactar

Crowne Plaza Crowne Plaza Hotel SAN PEDRO SULA Hotels | SAN PEDRO SULA | Welcome

Hotels in La Ceiba

La Quinta Real Hoteles Quinta Real

La Quinta Cant find the website for this one at the moment.

Rainbow village Rainbow Village Hotel Restaurant and Bar in La Ceiba, Honduras

The Paris Hotel, not their website but will tell you about it Gran Paris Hotel La Ceiba Honduras. Best Hotel Deals & Reviews

Travel from San Pedro Sula to La Ceiba I am pretty sure you would be able to find a people carrier / mini bus from the airport that will take you to La Ceiba

Rocky Point is a nice area and there are some nice house there, when you get here walk around and see what shop suits your needs, at our resort we cannot take people that are not staying here but we do have a shop in town, but as I said walk around see what fits your needs there are lots to choose from.

Just got back from my 5th trip to CocoView Resort in the last 2 years and am scheduled to return in June. They have added a new boat. During the political problems, I will reserve political comments ...but SHAME on Obama administration, CocoView had 16 guests and the others in the area were reported to me to have had zero. I love the people there and the pay is terrible, they live on tips. The last week I was there they were full or very close to it. I saw more soldiers at the airport and there is more inspection of baggage but otherwise it is business as usual.

Is there better diving other places? Yes, but in my opinion, for the money you cannot beat it. The return customers to CocoView especially make it a family ... in fact when you clear customs you run into Nora and she hugs you and says "Welcome Home Baby". BTW, we did 21 dives for the week, some do a few more and some do less... it is up to you.

I'm taking off for Utila tomorrow... Leaving in 6 hrs! Can't wait to get in the water.
WooooHooooo!

Hi AggieDad

I am so pleased that you enjoy the Bay Islands and we want to keep people like you coming, and as you have done here promote the Bay Islands, but one thing I will say is that here in Utila is different you mentioned ''I love the people there and the pay is terrible, they live on tips.'' whilst that may be true for some places that is not true of all, yes of course it is great if you leave a tip for good service but please do not think you have to do it on Utila, I have divemasters / Instructors that earn USA wages and Local staff at our resort that earn good wages.

I totally agree with you that it is good for people to get tips but not for the reason that there pay is terrible the tips should be for good service.

I think that some of my friends came to your resort a couple of years ago but not sure. We will have to arrange a trip and see what Utila is all about.
I wish that the salaries were more livable in Roatan and that they didn't have to depend upon tips so much but sadly that is the way that it was set up and it would take someone with a whole new outlook to start the tide turning. Hey, If I had the money to buy a place down there and start my own operation I would, I love it that much.
First thing I would do though would invest millions if necessary to spray the entire place down and kill every no-seeum alive on the island. :(

We will stay in touch and come see you. I know all the dive sites at CocoView almost as well as the DM's - heavy on the almost :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom