Honduras - Report - "The State of Diving Tourism"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

You would be welcome LOL we do get a lot of people from Texas here

Yup, Dallas here and we love Utila. I just wish I could find more time to spend at our place.

A friend and I are looking to do some diving, but also a place to that's fairly reasonable money wise. I'm in Florida, and from what I can tell there may be reasonable flights from Miami to San Pedro Sula, and possibly connecting to La Ceiba. First question is, if we go in April/May, is this a good time to go? Are there reasonable enough places to stay in Roatan (i.e. cheap) that would likely be available without reservations, etc.? We basically want to have some freedom to dive and stay when and where we want, and we are not picky at all. We're looking at spending 4 days on the island, probnably 3 days of diving. Appreciate any recommendations, tips anyone might have :)

We are going back to Roatan in July. However, one hurdle persists. The airfares are much higher this year and have just gone up another $20 to nearly $700 from NYC. Two summers ago, it was $570.

I booked airfare through TACA flying from DC to LCE for only $275 roundtrip. I would highly recommend flying TACA because they are half the price of flying to LCE compared to an American airline and I have never had any problems with TACA. You just have to look for deals.

Taca flies direct to Roatan from Miami, I would check that route as well, from the east coast!

Never been to Tegucigalpa. Have been to Roatan. Had a wonderful time there. From my observation Roatan IS isolated from all the bullsputter on the mainland. We flew directly into Roatan with no problems. We stayed at a Anthony's Key Resort. We took a cab to West End and looked around there one afternoon. Never felt anything but safe while we were there, but we did spend the majority of our time at the resort. There is excellent diving from the north and south side of the island. Others here will fill you in on the south side but we had a wonderful time at AKR and would definitely go again.

I flew thru Tegucigalpa one my first trip to Roatan some 20 years ago. I was really scary then. The airport actualy had machine gun nests surrounding it. Our next flight was cancelled because Roatan didn't have any lights at the time. There was a lot of screaming in the airport lobby because the Americans were being sent to a hotel while Hondurans were being sent via bus that night to another town where the plane was originally scheduled to land. We had to stay in a hotel that the airline paid for. We never left the hotel as the ride to it scared us. I was with a group of 12. On the trip back to the airport in the morning, we passed what was apparantly a dead body laying along the road. Even the arrival in Roatan at that time was scary. Customs or immigration put us all in a little room with no windows and then collected all our passports. We sat there was at least 45 minutes having no idea what was going on. This was my first trip out of the country as I was darn scared. It all turned out okay and we had a fantastic time at Anthony's Key. I fell in love with Roatan.

I'm certain many things have changed in the following 20 years but I still wouldn't consider spending a night there. I've been to Roatan many times since but have either gone direct or thru San Pedro Sula without a stay over.

No one really leaves the airport in Tegus (or San Pedro) on their way to the Bay Islands.

If you do, check into another message board like Central America - Travel Message Board Forums - IndependentTraveler.com

Similar in situation and advice when considering transit through Trinidad, Belize City, Caracas, etc. Stay moving or stay in the airport.

There are any number of "gateway city" (ones that you transit through while flying) rat-holes that litter the Caribbean, as well as a few in the USA. Then we can consider the rest of the diving world.

Governments (local or national) generally keep dive destination resort towns/areas "clean and neat" versus what you might find elsewhere in the country. Don't think that one equates to the other.

As current Travelers to Paradise will assure you- the biggest hold-up at the Roatan airport nowadays is the worldwide and universal characteristic of the governmental employee- they get paid by the hour.

Roatan arrivals can be like greased lightning or molasses in January- all because of the vagaries of the Public Servant's desire to get on with it and get home. The last flight of the day, IF it arrives after the other one has been cleared, IF they are fully staffed- that's the one that really flies through. Otherwise, they have all day to get you processed- and this isn't just a Roatan thing.

I routinely fly through San Pedro Sula to the states. I have never had trouble there. I usually take the ferry and then the bus and and spend the night. I go out in the evening for dinner. No problem, ever. It is like any big city (including the US), just be aware of what happening around you.

Tegus has provided several a fun evening too. I would l not be walking around there after dark, I take a cab, but again, never had a problem. That article was obviously written for effect and entertainment, and the guy did not have any information or guidebook before he arrived. Except the part about guards with guns. That is a way of life south of the US border, it does take a little getting used to, especially the guy riding on the coke truck with an AK-47...

No matter what, life is cheaper than most Americans think, it is like their housing market these days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom