Horseshoe or Donut Wing - butt dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bongabonga

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I am in the market for used doubles wing - and at the moment I am looking at used halcyon 40 explorer (horseshoe) wing.
I am concerned about dumping air throught the butt valve.
I owned halcyon 30 single donut wing and I have no problem using the butt valve for dumping air.
Can someone share experience in using both wing type?

thanks scubaboard!

I have a DSS horseshoe wing and dumping air through the "butt" valve is no problem. It's likely with a doughnut wing the tank is pressing on the bottom of wing. Bottom line: it doesn't make much difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a DSS horseshoe wing and dumping air through the "butt" valve is no problem. It's likely with a doughnut wing the tank is pressing on the bottom of wing. Bottom line: it doesn't make much difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is true. It makes no difference at all.

Tobin (DSS) had a great post back a bit ago. His stance is that there is no advantage. I own both styles, and quite frankly, find no difference.

I notice a difference.

Its marginally easier to dump from both sides of the wing equally with a doughnut. Not a big deal by any stretch, of course. With a horseshoe, there's only one channel for air to migrate between the left and right side of the wing. With a doughnut, there's two. After a few years of diving with a doughnut then switching back to a horseshoe for a few dives, I found that I use this bottom channel to move air around a bit.

Minor detail, but it is a thing.

Tobin (DSS) had a great post back a bit ago. His stance is that there is no advantage. I own both styles, and quite frankly, find no difference.
Ditto.......I own three wings; Apeks #45, two DSS wings; #42 and #49..... Use all three regularly.......No difference......

---------- Post added January 18th, 2014 at 07:11 PM ----------

I notice a difference.

Its marginally easier to dump from both sides of the wing equally with a doughnut. Not a big deal by any stretch, of course. With a horseshoe, there's only one channel for air to migrate between the left and right side of the wing. With a doughnut, there's two. After a few years of diving with a doughnut then switching back to a horseshoe for a few dives, I found that I use this bottom channel to move air around a bit.

Minor detail, but it is a thing.

+1

It depends on how much time you spend with your head stuck in a hole, like hunting bugs. The butt-dump may still not be useful but a donut will let the bubble migrate to the high side so you aren’t fighting roll forces. It can also be handy for macro photography.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom