Hose length for Rec only diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I realize this is an ancient thread and the OP has undoubtedly figured out what will work for him but I am switching to a 7’ hose (With a wing and backplate) and am in the process of ordering a braided hose (not Miflex) but several people mentioned the tendency of these hoses to float or wander. I do have a light canister that I would run it under but wanted to get the general consensus of whether a rubber is preferable? All things being equal, I would rather run the braided hose (so long as it isn’t an inconvenience).

Yes, I realize this is an ancient thread and the OP has undoubtedly figured out what will work for him but I am switching to a 7’ hose (With a wing and backplate) and am in the process of ordering a braided hose (not Miflex) but several people mentioned the tendency of these hoses to float or wander. I do have a light canister that I would run it under but wanted to get the general consensus of whether a rubber is preferable? All things being equal, I would rather run the braided hose (so long as it isn’t an inconvenience).
It’s an inconvenience and arguably a safety hazard. Go with rubber on your long hose, if not all of them.

It’s an inconvenience and arguably a safety hazard. Go with rubber on your long hose, if not all of them.

Hazard due to the floating/wandering issue — which, I understand — or from the earlier hoses that had failure issues? If the latter, my understanding is that the problem has been rectified.

Hazard due to the floating/wandering issue — which, I understand — or from the earlier hoses that had failure issues? If the latter, my understanding is that the problem has been rectified.
Nasty no name hoses vs proper hoses, I don’t think there is any safety issue really.

However, and I have a miflex long hose, there are a couple of annoyances. One is they are more wandering, but also they are a bit abrasive. They wear away the finish on the light and are a minor irritation on the neck if not wearing a suit.

Btw you could post a link to the other thread, just to close the loop :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom