Hospital Point in La Jolla, hunting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ob1Stogie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I looked at the DFG map of the "no hunt" zones in the bay and shores. Hospital point looks to be well south of those areas. Can anyone confirm this for me? I usually dive Laguna so I'm not that familiar with La Jolla.

Thanks in advance.

Hospital Point??? There are ABSOLUTELY NO lobsters there...a terrible place for hunting! :wink:

-Adrian

I saw tons of Lobster at La Jolla Cove! And I saw a fish and game warden in the parking lot. I don't hunt yet, but my buddy and I had an interesting talk with the warden. I called BS, not to his face, but I did call it. I asked him how would he know if I caught a lobster in a legal hunting place but swam back and surfaced in the cove (which is protected)? He didn't elaborate but simply said that they have ways of knowing. I guess when I start hunting the answer may be self evident. I don't know.
This was just a question to generate discussion. I am law abiding diver. I just get to being curious about HOW things are done. Then playing devils advocate for debate.

Joker11:
I saw tons of Lobster at La Jolla Cove! And I saw a fish and game warden in the parking lot. I don't hunt yet, but my buddy and I had an interesting talk with the warden. I called BS, not to his face, but I did call it. I asked him how would he know if I caught a lobster in a legal hunting place but swam back and surfaced in the cove (which is protected)? He didn't elaborate but simply said that they have ways of knowing. I guess when I start hunting the answer may be self evident. I don't know.
This was just a question to generate discussion. I am law abiding diver. I just get to being curious about HOW things are done. Then playing devils advocate for debate.

If you come out of the water with game in any "protected" or no-take areas, you are going to get a ticket. You'll get your chance to explain the situation - to the Judge.

That's lame. He can't prove I took a lobster from a no-take area and I can't prove I didn't. So that is exactly why I called BS. I don't think he can tell as he claimed he could. Even if the lobster were somehow tagged, they can freely move in and out of the cove.
I know some of you are going to say..."Just don't put yourself in that position and you won't have to worry about it." Right. I know that. But that was not the point of the discussion. He said he could tell.

There's no way he could tell for sure. But I think lifeguards and DFG guys on shore tend to watch for any signs of people taking illegal game in the preserves. Basically, they'll ticket you if you bring game out of a preserve area, period.

EER

DFG employs nightvision and I think heat vision binoculars. Basically, they can see where you are in the water by your light, so they know where you are and where you aren't while hunting. DFG also likes using plainclothes to ask you questions before they identify themselves, so be wary of the overly interested tourist on the beach at 2 in the morning...

Back
Top Bottom