Puerto Adventuras questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our Canadian cell phones stay at the house/condo we rent running off WIFi. We bring our old phones with us. We wipe them clean at home, do all of the updates and put only basic contacts in them. No apps with banking info. No credit card info on them. A Sim card at say a TelCel store is about 20.00 (don't remember the real amount - been a few years since we purchased one) and get a Mexico cell plan. Cell plans are SUPER cheap there. All include calling to USA and Canada. This price list is a few years old but you will get a great idea how much it will cost for a plan. I believe the OP is staying for 7 days. A 7 day plan is 50 pesos for All 7 days. Then when we are at home and will be flying back to Mexico we sign up on an app called DING. This allows us to add a plan before arriving in Mexico. We have Apple phones and have the AirPods installed to work off of our Mexico phones. We put the AirTags in our checked luggage so when we land and turn the mexico phones on we can check to see if our checked luggage made it to Mexico and approximately where it is. View attachment 816477
Is this all to get around possible phone theft and identity theft? My phone already has an international plan, I wasn't sure what to expect while outside PA in class as far as theft/security was concerned. I'm not really sure if I'd need my phone at all as the only time I'll be outside I'll be in class and doubt I'll have time to be calling/texting.

Yes. Someone steals your real phone then maybe they get access somehow and everything is compromised. We go for 2-4 weeks so we use are Mexico phones to call and communicate like we are at home.

Is this all to get around possible phone theft and identity theft? My phone already has an international plan, I wasn't sure what to expect while outside PA in class as far as theft/security was concerned. I'm not really sure if I'd need my phone at all as the only time I'll be outside I'll be in class and doubt I'll have time to be calling/texting.
When I have done a class or guided diving, I left my phone in the room. Just never needed it. As for security, PA is gated and safe. I’m not concerned about theft of anything in my room—at least no more so than any other country in the world where my lodging is not sketchy.

I have T-Mobile, and my plan works in Mexico same as in the US. In fact, I’m doing this right now while nursing a mezcalita.

I have T-Mobile, and my plan works in Mexico same as in the US. In fact, I’m doing this right now while nursing a mezcalita.
I should be in Puerto Aventuras tomorrow. Tacos?

I should be in Puerto Aventuras tomorrow. Tacos?
Wife and I have left QRoo and are spending Christmas in Merida. We have been looking at Merida as a possible retirement location. Close enough to PA and Tulum for frequent dive trips but less hectic atmosphere.

I suppose I'm going to need some cash (Pesos) right? I figure maybe tipping, some incidental purchases in PDC when I'm catching the ferry... Any suggestions on amount to convert and best place/way to convert?

I suppose I'm going to need some cash (Pesos) right? I figure maybe tipping, some incidental purchases in PDC when I'm catching the ferry... Any suggestions on amount to convert and best place/way to convert?
I'm lazy and just use the Cancun airport ATMs to withdraw something like 4000 MXN when I arrive, and that's good enough for tacos and incidentals for the week. You can probably use a credit card even in small stores like an Oxxo, but I prefer cash for small purchases. Occasionally you might also hear "our Visa machine is not working," and so they can only accept cash at the moment. Don't be caught without at least some cash on you for such contingencies. The exchange rate at ATMs is good enough for me for a small amount like I need for tacos and incidentals for a week. I use an ATM card that reimburses the ATM fee, but the fee is only something like $5, so don't sweat it. There are threads and threads in which thrifty SB'ers debate how to squeeze every peso out of their withdrawals/exchanges, but it's not worth the brain bandwidth to me. I just want to get on my way.

Note: If you use an ATM, decline the optional "conversion" when the screen comes up offering that. It's not in your favor.

It has been a while, but there used to be an ATM (I think Scotia Bank) to the left (circled in yellow), as you were facing Paparazzi pizza place (circled in red). If memory serves me right, it was in a glass enclosure.

1704404502298.png

I usually just swap cash at the money exchange outside the PA Chedraui. $500usd is usually more than enough for my wife and I to eat and pay cenote entrances for a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom