Puerto Adventuras questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was curious why you chose Emoke and not someone at ZG. Emoke is a great choice--just wondering how you found her, since ZG advertises themselves more than Emoke and Laszlo do.
It was kinda random to be honest. I was planning on being in Cozumel that week to visit some friends that have a house for a month. I was also looking at a local TDI Intro to Tech course (my original main goal was to move to doubles), but started poking around gue.com and saw that Emoke had a Fundamentals class that lined up perfectly with my trip. We emailed back and forth, and I realized this was the path I really wanted to go down. Then she added the Doubles Primer and here we are!

I really didn't know anything about ZG at the time.

Not a great breakfast eater my self. At home I never eat before 11, but on dive days, especially for classes, a good breakfast with eggs, bacon, toast, butter, avocado, OJ and a bit of mango keeps me going all day. Puts less pressure on the eating bit the rest of the day.
We sometimes make breakfast quesadillas in a pan on a hot plate in the place mje is staying. Avocado on top, and some habanero salsa. I can re-experience the taste multiple times during a dive. :giggle: Seriously, though, I couldn't handle a heavy breakfast during a week of class with so much in-water time as Fundies.

Items at the ZG cafe ("Cafe Caribe") are a bit pricey for me. Chris is rightly proud of his coffee, though.

I know you're looking for groceries, but if you want to take a break and have great, not too expensive seafood, try La Caleta. It's run by someone who also runs a spearfishing operation (Arpon). If you have a spare day, you could even spearfish, and he'll cook your catch right there.

We like hardboiled eggs--good protein boost--even on our dive days at home. We find it's best not to scarf down a "lunch" but rather eat a small amount before the first dive, and then some more after the second dive.
Ah yeah that's an excellent idea! I'm usually a protein heavy eater and bringing some HB eggs along (or maybe egg salad sandwiches???) would be easy.

Seconded! @mje113, when you pass by these places with Emoke on your way to the dive sites in the mornings, you'll see Arbolito packed with breakfast-goers. As SD Climber said, it will be closed by the time you get back. But consider it for breakfast (tacos) on your last day, before you get picked up to return to Playa del Carmen or wherever you're headed.
Oh I wish I had room on my "last day"! Because the class is eating up almost my whole trip to Cozumel with my friends (who are rightfully pissed), I'm going to wrap day 4, and head straight to the ferry hoping to catch the last of the day. Oy it's going to be a whirlwind trip but I honestly am so excited.

Another chedurai note. Even if your spanish is good, you probably aren't going to understand the first question that the cashier asks you. She's going to ask if you have a chedurai number. You can just say no. . .
However, back when my wife and I were going down there at least twice a year, in the pharmacy the clerk gave us a Chedraui card and we used it at the grocery checkout and got a discount.

This. Plastic grocery bags are now banned there, I believe.

I was curious why you chose Emoke and not someone at ZG. Emoke is a great choice--just wondering how you found her, since ZG advertises themselves more than Emoke and Laszlo do. Anyway, as to your question, ZG looks like any other dive shop, focused on GUE/DIR stuff, of course. Nothing really special to see there. Well, I suppose if you want to see a really nice fill station or just have a look, by all means stop by.
Their coffee shop is really nice too.

I know you're looking for groceries, but if you want to take a break and have great, not too expensive seafood, try La Caleta. It's run by someone who also runs a spearfishing operation (Arpon). If you have a spare day, you could even spearfish, and he'll cook your catch right there.
Ah, that's the one I referred to in a post above as "the Argentine restaurant." Maybe it's a different name or they changed the theme? Anyway, yes, great place for seafood.

However, back when my wife and I were going down there at least twice a year, in the pharmacy the clerk gave us a Chedraui card and we used it at the grocery checkout and got a discount.
Good point, I've since registered with them.

It took me about a month down there and one day I finally understood what they were saying.

I'll definitely try to make it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom